Long distance to Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Willow18

Long distance to Ribston

Post by Willow18 »

Ok.
Dilemma.....
single mum on Worcs/Glos border.
Both girls been educated privately in Chelt during primary years.
Elder daughter now at Pates and I work in Chelt 3 days a week.
Younger daughter got 215 for Ribston.
Comp alternatives are Tewkesbury (massive and when we went to visit it yesterday it was very loud and surly kids were being sent out of classes!!) or entering Worcs system where she would enter a middle school a year after all the other kids had started, plus travel towards Evesham....wrong direction for the rest of us!!
However, Ribston.....means a 20min drive to get to Chelt racecourse for 7.30am bus!!
Your thoughts please guys......
Dixon

Re: Long distance to Ribston

Post by Dixon »

You travel to Cheltenham anyway for work and other DC is schooled in Cheltenham. Your DD has done well to get a Ribston pass which is a sought after GS. Looking at the alternatives it seems an easy answer to me.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Newent or Winchcombe?
Capers
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi,
Have you contacted the school to see if there is anyone else who travels from your area in which case you could perhaps carpool? Good luck. :)
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

If score was 215 for Ribston, is her HSFG score about 205? If so, you could appeal. Would this make the commute easier? Have you visited both schools? Which did she/you prefer?
carvegybe

Post by carvegybe »

We are currently having a similar discussion, living near Bishops Cleeve and scoring 217 for Ribston. We have to decide whether the long days are worth it. Currently leaning slightly towards Ribston rather than Winchcombe/Tewkesbury but wondering what we could be letting ourselves in for...
Willow18

Post by Willow18 »

Went round Tewkesbury this week. 250 intake!!!! Kids being chucked out of classes as we walked by......not for us!
Do you REALLY think we could appeal on 205 for Denmark Road?
actually fallen in love with Bredon Middle School......but would I be letting her down by turning down a grammar place??
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Willow18 wrote:Went round Tewkesbury this week. 250 intake!!!! Kids being chucked out of classes as we walked by......not for us!
Do you REALLY think we could appeal on 205 for Denmark Road?
actually fallen in love with Bredon Middle School......but would I be letting her down by turning down a grammar place??
Yes you can appeal on any number for GS. I know of people with a lower score appealing for Denmark Road and I have heard a boy got to Tommies on appeal with a score of 199. Once you get to appeal the actual score on the day counts for very little. You have to prove any mitigating circumstances on the day (ill, something happened in the room etc.) AND have an excellent academic record. Your child's SATS (or predicted) scores. Also a letter from your head could help.
Secondly, if your DD went to Bredon, then most GS take "in-year" transfers. This is based on a test on English/Maths. Of course if the year group is full there is no guarantee they will get in, but if it isn't full then you could achieve a place that way after you have been to the middle school?
100apples

Post by 100apples »

Hi,

We too live on Worcs/Glos border (but actually in Glos..just).

Our DD passed for HSFG and Ribston but transport is a factor that we have considered carefully when ranking the schools on our CAF. The bus for HSFG stops nearer home than the one for Ribston. Her score for HSFG was close to pass mark so fingers crossed on that one.

Have you looked at Winchcombe which is a fairly small secondary school and might suit your DD better than Tewkesbury. This is our choice after the grammars.

I can see Bredon Hill Middle School from my house but haven't been to look round (a few of DD classmates have gone there). Have you been to see Price Henrys to see if you like it because this is where she will move to afterwards? I think (but not 100%) it's a fairly similar size to Tewkesbury.

Good luck with it all.
inkermann

Post by inkermann »

Hello, I too live on glos/worcs borders on Bredon Hill. My daughter has 216 for Ribston and I am looking at whether or not this school is workable given the lack of organised transport and where it is. She is currently at BHMS and enjoying it most of the time. Perhaps transport share would be an option if both girls go to the school. Regards
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now