Is 234 enough for CHG??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mini05

Is 234 enough for CHG??

Post by mini05 »

Hi all,

Can anyone help? I understand the fierce competition for grammar schools and want someone to advise us for the chance of our daughter gaining a place at CHG with a score of 235. I'm so confused, although she scored over 225 which was the required score for the school, however, having through the forum there are many children who have gained marks way above 235.

I guess it's a waiting game and the fact that the highest scored marks will be allocated first and then the remaining accordingly. So stressed out! I thought the results in October would be ideal in deciding a place for the preference forms, however now it seems as if it another 5 months of waiting until places R allocated .

Plz someone advise us!
GuidingStar

Re: Is 234 enough for CHG??

Post by GuidingStar »

Yasmeen, as u understand, no one can tell u for certain what is a 'enough score', but i think 235 is a very safe score for CHG. by all means, place it in rank 1 if its ur first choice- nothing to lose. As I understand, all the KE girls schools are very similar in terms of exam performance, so if u cant make the CHG there is nothing to be feel bad- u will definitely get FW or Handsworth. In fact, although my DD did get a score enough for CHG, i am preferring Handsworth as first choice. I know few other parents are also thinking similar, u can read the thread below on this 'KECHG or KEVIH'. If it was re a boy, then CHB does stands out from the rest.

Dont get worried by all these very high scores, as only very few DCs will get such high scores, and this years results are not very different from last few years, so I beleive the cut-off scores will remain broadly similar to previous years, may be within 2/3 marks.

Hope that helps.
mini05

Waiting process

Post by mini05 »

Thanks a lot guiding star,

I guess it's just a waiting game now therefor will only find out in March. Also, need to be realistic and keep other options open. I was told by the consortium office that there were over 13500 applications this year, hence theres only 890 places in the grammar school therefor it's the highest that will get places first. Ideally speaking whether a child has managed to score enough for the school is a little bit of a positive factor as there is a chance but not a 100% chance or garuntee.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

GuidingStar wrote:, so if u cant make the CHG there is nothing to be feel bad- u will definitely get FW or Handsworth..
If she doesn't make KECHG, she will be unlikely to make KEFW as historically, KEFW requires a higher score and is on an upward trend.

With a score of 234, you should be safe for KECHG. 8)

Priya01

Post by Priya01 »

is 235 enough for my ds to get in FW.we had CHB in our minds which looks uncertain now.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

It should be fine, Priya01. I would still put KECHB down too. :wink:

But there is little point in placing a traditionally lower scoring gs over a higher one.
Priya01

Post by Priya01 »

BTW, your ds has a good chance for CHG,having scored 235 ,shouldn't be tough to get in.
josh sen

Post by josh sen »

Two years ago 223 would have been safe for CHG and 226 for FW .

234 should be quite safe for CHG unless there was an overwhelming amount of very bright applicant this year .Not to mention that the exams was earlier and that there is competition from the Walsall consortium for places .

Someone said few days ago that ''something drastic '' have to happen for CH to go below 229,well, did it happen last year ?

Please ,if you are applying for your child put the school preferences down based on your preference ,you cannot be punished for putting CHG first (this is sound advice ).
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

DIY mum one of your posts has me worried.

You have advised that 234 is unlikely to make FW, I thought last year was 225.

My DS scored 237 and i thought he was safe for FW, but from what you have said it might not be enough.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Nervous mom,

In my books that's as safe as you can get for FW. Moreover, there is no pointing worrying now as you can't change the score and the eventual allocation. Just put it down as your first choice!

MSD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now