Judd or Dartford Grammar from Bromley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bondgirl

Judd or Dartford Grammar from Bromley

Post by bondgirl »

Not sure whether to post this in Bexley/Bromley or Kent.

We are in going to see Judd and Dartford GS next week and are hoping DS is in with a shot at both (score 423). Is anyone else considering these schools from the Bromley or Orpington area? I believe DGS run a school bus from Bromley and for Judd we'd be looking at a 35-40 minute train journey. It would be good to know he may have travelling companions. Or do any of you have DSs already doing the journey? I'd welcome any views or experiences :D
lefol

Re: Judd or Dartford Grammar from Bromley

Post by lefol »

Try nkst (north kent school transport) or Lewis Travel and see if they pick up kids from Judd. I do know of boys who travel from Mottingham and Bromley areas to Dartford. Judd seems a bit of a trek though. Trust you will also consider the Bexley schools such as Chis and Sid which takes quite a few from Bromley and he will have loads of friends to travel with.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks lefol. Yes, we're off to C&S on Monday and know boys locally who are already there. DS has his heart set on Judd though. I wouldn't have even considered it until DS sat the Kent test there and it was actually not a bad journey (albeit at 7am on a Saturday morning :shock: ). Having looked at train timetables it looks ok and the school is close to the station in Tonbridge (7 minute walk - I timed it when DS sat the test :lol: ).

I assume as the school takes on score alone, boys must travel from all over Kent?
cazbar

Post by cazbar »

Bondgirl you could have written that post for me!! We are in exactly the same position as you having probably missed out on olaves.

Went to see Chis and Sid this morning but tbh wasn't blown away. So I'm looking forward to seeing DGS and Judd next week. Are you on the 9.30 or 11.30 tour? Might see you on the train :)
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi cazbar :D

We're on the 9.30 tour and are going to get the train there as a "trial journey", so to speak. We also missed out on St O's so our options are C&S, Judd and DGS.

I'm so pleased you replied - was beginning to wonder if I was being slightly mad to be considering Judd/DGS when we are much closer to C&S. Or maybe we both are :lol:
tensemum

Post by tensemum »

I was planning to write the same post. We live in Orpington and DS has scored 423. Missed out on St. Olaves and hence the confusion. We r torn between Judd and DGS. DS is sporty and judd is traditionally academic. Don't know which school will suit him. Any help with how much homework each school gives out and also what sports the kids play will be appreciated.
Also travel is another concern. Bondgirl, we are going for the 11.30 open morning.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I know of a number of boys who currently make the journey from Orpington to Judd on the train.

TenseMum - Judd is not only a very academic school but also a very sporty school. It excels in Rugby and Cross Country. There is also cricket, athletics, basketball etc etc But, just in case its important to your DS you should be aware that except for one offs ( in my experience) there is no football in PE lessons. Nor is there football after school / fixtures. Have a look at the website to see what is on offer.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like he won't be alone then which is great news :D I think we're veering more towards Judd but will make the final decision on Thursday - the CAF has to be in on Friday :shock: It all feels such a rush at the last minute.

Doesn't it also show how random the whole process is - boys scoring 423 in the Kent test but not getting St O's :(
cazbar

Post by cazbar »

Hi Bondgirl and Tensemum,

We are on the 9.30 tour and will be getting the train too. I think it is a do-able journey. The train takes around 20 mins from Orpington and then as you say less than a 10 minute walk to school. Just getting to Orpington adds on time. The coach to Dartford takes just under an hour so not a dissimilar journey time in fact might be slightly longer and depends on traffic. The only problem with DGS is if they want to do after school activities it means picking them up afterwards as they will have missed the coach. On the other hand Judd don't finish til 3.45 which is later than any of the other schools we have looked at and it concerns me the time they will get home and doing what I'm sure is a fair amount of homework. I'm going round in circles :lol:

I think DGS and Judd are in a different league to C&S, Bondgirl I won't say too much so that you can form your own opinion when you see it but looking at the last few years A level results my local Bromley school did better than C&S!! Just a shame we are not in their catchment area and had to go through this process :roll:

Tensemum, I was under the impression Judd was very sporty too, this is from their website - http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/index.phtml?d=118643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm starting to wonder what happened in the St.O's test this year as you say both your boys got 423 in Kent, my son also got 423 and a top 180 place in Bexley, yet we got an 'unlikely' letter. I can only assume his creative writing wasn't up to scratch (which was always a worry!) as it surely can't be his maths judging by the other scores.

I've now heard of at least 5 boys who got 423 in Kent but no olaves probable offer :shock:
cazbar

Post by cazbar »

I was under the impression the CAF only had to be in by Friday if you were handing it in paper format to your school. You can complete online up til October 31st.