Confused.. Lost

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mommyg

Confused.. Lost

Post by mommyg »

DS will not make it to Tiffins with a score of 206. Wallington has come back that he has not cleared (am totally stunned by that, as he did find that the easiest and was very certain he would pass). As for Wilson, I dont have much hope, as I know he found it difficult! The only hope is for Sutton, as he has cleared first level. But with Wallington results , I fear he may be in the lower pass ranks !

Looking at the Tiffins tutor threads etc. I feel I should have put more effort ( I mean concentrated effort). Poor DS - he has worked so hard ! Thank God, DS is in school now, I will have a few hrs to recover and give him a boost !
sgsgirl

Re: Confused.. Lost

Post by sgsgirl »

Feel the same way as you, mommyg. My DS got 209 so I'm not holding my breath either. He didn't make Wallington or Sutton so I'm not assuming any good news for Wilsons either. Do you have a plan B? What schools would you be looking into now?
cakemummy

Post by cakemummy »

Hi Both,

Have seen your posts and please, please do not despair. We were in the same position last year in that my DS did not pass all of the entrance tests he took and I was adamant that for the ones he did he had just scrapped through. Come 1st of March he gained a place at our first choice super selective grammar. I know it's hard but please do not lose all hope.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

It is so hard on the children who do not quite make it. The simple truth is there are far more children of selective ability than there are selective places but that doesn't mean that the children who fall short of the cut-off are not bright and are not going to succeed in every sense at their new schools. Falling either side of the line in an 11+ exam in Surrey, where children are all of roughly equal ability and scores are all grouped together, is as much down to pure luck as anything else. A couple of questions misread or a number written incorrectly as part of a maths question and that's it.

Every year teachers and parents say the same - they are never surprised by who passes these tests but are often stunned by those who fail them. The good news is that such ridiculous levels of competition and such small numbers of selective places has a knock on effect at alternative schools. If your local comprehensive is situated anywhere near these grammar school, the top stream will still be comprised solely of level 6 and level 5 pupils. They will be taught at an appropriate level for their ability and have all the same opportunities when it comes to GCSE and A Level options.

The effort that goes into the 11+ preparation is also not wasted. Children derive great self confidence from finding Year 6 and Year 7 work within their grasp and being able to work at the higher levels at their new schools. I know it isn’t much consolation after the initial results come out but it will be O.K.
mommyg

Post by mommyg »

cakemummy wrote:Hi Both,

Have seen your posts and please, please do not despair. We were in the same position last year in that my DS did not pass all of the entrance tests he took and I was adamant that for the ones he did he had just scrapped through. Come 1st of March he gained a place at our first choice super selective grammar. I know it's hard but please do not lose all hope.
wow.. that's good to know. I wish they gave scores like Tiffins, so we kinda know where we stand.

Let me ask, is there any point in applying if you have not passed? Wallington had 120 seats and only 420 have passed. I'm assuming that most of these ppl have passed other grammars , and may well go for independent too. What if they are not able to allocate all seats?
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

If you haven't passed, you are not eligible to be considered for a place. The schools would not be allowed to make an offer to anybody who did not reach the pass mark.
The only reason to name a school knowing that you haven't passed their test is if you intend to appeal that decision in March.
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

If only the scores were given for Wallington then you would know how well your child has done.
mommyg

Post by mommyg »

There are about 510 seats in total, in the 4 grammars. Then there are indies also.. so, I am finding it difficult to understand how only 420 can pass.. Isnt there a remote possibility that 400 of the children that passed prefer other schools ! Wishful thinking I know, but still .. what happens to the unallocated seats if others cant apply?
cakemummy

Post by cakemummy »

sgsgirl - I know exactly how you feel but please try not to worry too much. You may be pleasantly surprised come the 1st March.
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

Thanks cakemummy for your words of support, but I'm not sure what to do. The CAF is due in by the 31st of October and so far DS has not made 3 out of the 4 Grammars. Tiffins we know the score but its well off the selective score of 223-229.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now