TWGSB appeal - your help needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

TWGSB appeal - your help needed

Post by Villagedad »

Dear all

I have been a bit quiet on the Kent forum since the results as our DS did not pass :(

He got 141 (VR), 141 (NVR), and 118 (maths) - a combined 400 but not enough for a pass as the maths was 1 point less than the minimum 119 per subject.., we are gutted for him. They did a HT appeal but that didn't work as they deemed his coursework and SATs/CATs to be not of high enough standard :?

Thanks to some of you who have posted on my other thread in the appeals section titled "Kent test - so near yet so far" - it can be found here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 47&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has a moment I would like to kindly enlist your help please :)

Does anyone have first hand experience (or knows of close friends/family etc) of a successful non-selective appeal at Tundbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys (TWGSB)? If so please PM me, as we need as much background knowledge as possible on how to best frame an appeal if indeed we decide to go for one.

It needs to be a non-selective appeal at TWGSB (ie didn't pass the Kent test by a mark or two, but got in on appeal) as I know there are other selective appeals for this school each year i.e. those who have passed but usually live too far away on first allocation of places.

Lastly, congratulations to those whose DCs passed :) and commiserations to those whose didn't :( - I feel your pain!

Many thanks to all, appreciate your help
Villagedad
GPmum

Re: TWGSB appeal YOUR HELP NEEDED

Post by GPmum »

I am so sorry Villagedad.........wondered where you were!
Your DS scored similarly to our DD but she managed to get through the maths - she scored NVR 141, VR 141, Maths 125.

Seems so unfair that your DS should not get through with that score.
Don't know anything about appeals, I'm afraid, but wanted to share your disappointment. I do feel for you and all those who were not successful first time around. :cry:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We appealed on Over subscription and non qualification 3 years ago. Not to a school in West Kent though but if I can help just ask.......I`ll be revisiting the appeals process myself so it should all be fresh :shock:
crispin

Post by crispin »

Sorry to hear that, but the other 2 papers are fantastic achievements. You must be in with a good chance being so near the cut off. I remember reading that 10 boys were awarded places at TWGSB last year who had not passed but the panel decided were definitely of GS ability. These slotted into the waiting list, so they were treated the same as boys who had passed and were on the waiting list. Good luck.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

From the information I've read (on here) over the years I think your main focus needs to be that his maths score does not reflect his true ability. So, maybe to start collecting every shred of good evidence that can demonstrate this?
Always at appeals time the discussion of Ed Psych reports comes up but it is a costly business and not necessarily resulting in DC's favour. One supposes you could ask for a cheaper Ed Psych 'maths' only assessment? It might be cheaper than the whole package deal, and you don't have to use it if it's not in your DS's favour.
Best wishes.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I'd do that, you can but try. Also get his maths levels as high as you can so that by the time of the appeal you can go "look he's now a 7a".

Why not appeal to Judd and Skinners as well? What was his NC level in maths at the end of year 5 according to the school if you are willing to say?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:Yes I'd do that, you can but try. Also get his maths levels as high as you can so that by the time of the appeal you can go "look he's now a 7a".

Why not appeal to Judd and Skinners as well? What was his NC level in maths at the end of year 5 according to the school if you are willing to say?
What is NC level? CATs or SATs ?
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Village Dad ,NC levels are also known as Sats :)

Hope this helps!
Tigger
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

tigger2 wrote:Hi Village Dad ,NC levels are also known as Sats :)

Hope this helps!
Tigger
4A at end of yr 5

Unfortunately he had a panic / wobble in the maths exam (was documented) which led to loss of time, and confusion :(
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Your DS's wobble in the exam adds to the evidence that the result is not a true reflection of his ability and is not extenuating circumstances in itself. In other words the wobble did not allow him to show his true and accurate ability. Don't lose sight of this important aspect of proving the result is not a true reflection. Make the connection but always focus on the result not being a true reflection. That's the thought you want any panel to have in their mind when you leave the room after an appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now