what is the true meaning of qualifying score for Tiffin?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tumpa

what is the true meaning of qualifying score for Tiffin?

Post by tumpa »

Just got the results. Would like to know what exactly qualifying score means? Does it mean the lowest cutoff score at which place was offered last year? Or does it mean the lowest qualifying score for sending letter and therefore the cutoff for offer may actually be much higher.
Got the results my DS is at 229 - understand last 5 year's qualifying was 224-229.
If anyone can share lowest offer place score it would be really helpful
London_Mum

Re: what is the true meaning of qualifying score for Tiffin?

Post by London_Mum »

Last year pupils scoring 231 or higher were offered a place straight away.
Those on 230 and 229 were offered places from the waiting list eventually. Those lower than 229 did not get an offer.

It varies each year in terms of the initial cutoff and lowest eventual cutoff depending on original scores and the numbers who decline a place.
It also depends how many children got identical marks. Last year 14 children scored 230 and 9 got 229.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Really what is needed is ranking not score. If you know you are ranked in the top 140 then you know you have a place. Pates in Gloucestershire provides this information and I think it is much more useful than score alone.

But I suppose with a late test this year it is not possible for Tiffin to provide the rank at the moment. Maybe next year?
Mum@2

Post by Mum@2 »

Hi, my son scored 231. I'm so confused if its safe enough to score a place?? Please advice...
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

At this stage, nobody knows where the cut-off will be in March and which scores will secure a place from the waiting list.
Last year 231 was the lowest mark that secured an offer in March. Boys on 230 and 229 got later offers from the waiting list as those on higher scores declined their places.
The scores are roughly the same year on year but there is no way of knowing completely at this stage where the cut-off will be in March. It depends on how many sit the test, how many secure identical scores to each other, how many list Tiffins but get a school they prefer more.... until March none of these things will be known.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now