Kent appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
monstermum

Kent appeal

Post by monstermum »

I am investigating whether or not to appeal for my daughter. She scored NV 141, V 134 and maths 114. Aggregate 389. She is already a level 5 in maths. She has passed the Medway test with a score of 555. Maths 107, writing 111 and VR 119. The HT appealed and was unsuccessful. He has said he would strongly support an appeal and is shocked that she was unsuccessful. I'm not sure if I have enough evidence. Also whether her previously disturbed schooling - poor teaching - can be used. I moved her in Year 3. The maths was on the 2 nd day whereas in Medway it was all on one day and she knew nobody. She has an issue with concentrating and said in Medway she could concentrate better. Although not sure this is relevant as her reasoning score are so strong. What should I be doing next? What evidence would help? Could the fact that the school we may appeal to is 10 mins walk? At the time of appeal she will have a place at a Medway grammar - will this count in her favour. Thank you so much for any help.

MM
pheasantchick

Re: Kent appeal

Post by pheasantchick »

If you don't appeal, you will never know whether you should have done. Apart from the hassle and uncertainty that the interim will provide, you loose nothing from having ago.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Thanks PC. I think that sums up how I'm feeling. I don't want any regrets. Hope all is well with you at this stressful time.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi mm. You should appeal, or at least I would (well I did and with worse scores LOL).

Distance will not be considered in an appeal. I found that really frustrating but stronger cases can be put forward than this. It would be different if the criteria was for all children to attend the most local school but with 'choice' comes pitfalls for some....

Get started with collating evidence of ability and researching your options. Most importantly complete the SCAF including the school you really can accept if the appeal fails, but only if this is a realistic option for gaining a place. What I mean is, don't waste your 'choices'.

Good luck!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

There's so much to decide in such a short time. I think I need to print off all the relevant threads and advice pages on appeal, determine what I need to do now( make sure DS's maintains a good work ethic/standard), make sure I put down good CAF allocations (suddenly options seem limited) , and then relax until March when the schools are allocated.

:twisted: eleven plus :evil:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

T12SCY - useful advice. Thank you.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

For all those wishing to keep options open with regards to a possible appeal come March please consider carefully the ordering of your schools on your CAF and seek advice on this.

In my day, and this was a 5/6 years ago, you were advised to put the schools in TRUE order of preference whether or not you were qualified (at this stage) for them or not. Put the grammars you wish to appeal to first, second etc. and the school you'll likely end up with lower.

Please check this with schools, teachers and others. I've known some teachers who did not know what was the most advisable listing of schools. Where you live, what score... too many 'other' factors come into play so you must seek out the most appropriate advice on ordering your schools. And then double and triple check it!

The actual evidence for the appeal in March is secondary for the moment. Make sure you choose, and list schools very carefully.

Best wishes to you all.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

If I remember rightly it's 4 choices, which does seem VERY limited when you want to keep your options open LOL

Belinda is right, the SCAF form can be critical and if you go to appeal the school may not even be aware where on the form you put them so it won't matter if it's 4th :wink:

Finally if you end up with a late application appeal, as we did in the end, that is a school which was never on the form in the first place..... It's such a minefield!
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

I think right now all I can do is keep my options open. It's a long time until March in the world of 11 plus! See how we feel then when it's not so immediate. Going to email admissions - Medway and Kent - to double claify the order on the SCAF. Know which 4 school but not the order. Seeing the headteacher will help too. Thanks for your help.