Level 6 SATS. Is this a separate paper?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pumpkin Pie

Level 6 SATS. Is this a separate paper?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Are children only selected by the school to sit this test or do all children automatically sit it? How would one prepare a child for this level 6? Any materials out there? Is this level really that important? Who benefits, the child or the school?
moved

Re: Level 6 SATS. Is this a separate paper?

Post by moved »

This is a separate paper and is not automatic. The school has to choose. There are marked papers in English reading and maths. The English writing task is to help teachers assess their children.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The level 6 maths test is not equivalent to the type of questions a Secondary level 6 test would set.

The Primary curriculum does not even cover all of level 5 - schools should be doing this work first!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The 2011 level 6 papers can be downloaded free from here.
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

When my DS went to GS he found Year 7 Maths boring. He said he learnt nothing new and it was all revision. Year 8 has meant setting for Maths and he is enjoying the challenge.

Now my DD is busy learning new things for Level 6 test that neither of my DSs did in Year 6.

Does this not mean Year 7 will be even more boring??? Just a thought.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In most GS their students come from many feeder schools and gaps need to be filled.

It is challenging to ensure everyone learns something new every day - remember we've got to cover the rest of level 5 and then HUGE bits of level 6 including all the using and appying. Many Primary schools 'cherry pick' the bits of level 6 they like or feel able to teach ... unfortunately they usually 'tell' the children the circle formulae so they miss the Year 7 activity we do and have to do another task linked to pi.

I expect our students to be at 'real' level 6 by the end of Year 7.
moved

Post by moved »

All pi in the sky as levels won't be with us much longer. :D
daveg

Post by daveg »

Guest55 wrote:nfortunately they usually 'tell' the children the circle formulae so they miss the Year 7 activity we do and have to do another task linked to pi.
Quite. In Y6, my kids got just told the area of a circle is pi.r^2. In Y7, they were lead towards a beautiful dissection which showed why it's pi.r^2 (ish - to get the exact result would require calculus). Of course, Gove probably thinks actual understanding is a communist plot.
moved

Post by moved »

I am surprised that the very able don't already know pi by this age. I have known very able children happily quote it to me at the beginning of year 7. One to 18 dp because it had been on the classroom wall during the 11+ and he had been bored so had learnt it!

Pi isn't a great secret. It sits on a calculator when they start secondary school.

However, I have had great fun with string in a classroom and even if they know the value already, children enjoy finding it for themselves.

Neither of my own children explored pi in secondary school. DD just quoted it to 10 dp! She doesn't even like maths.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Many thanks for the link Okanagan! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now