Type u questiona

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moby1

Type u questiona

Post by moby1 »

Hi can any one help with the type U questions where the alphabet is at the top of the page and you have to work out where the pairs of letter sequence are for example DE is to PG as ST is to ?
what we need is the technique to work this type of question as number 1 son is struggling on this and sstressed mum is as well
Just want to also say thanks for all theninfo on the site, its fantastic and with 3 kids in the family and this being the first child to go through support is invaluable :roll:

Post by Guest »

I hope I'm getting this right,my daughter likes these and I should probably wait till she gets home to check how to do them but your example DE is to PG as ST is to ?
You need to look at them separately so
D is to P= D + 12 = P
E is to G= E + 2 = G
and then for the answer ST is to ?
S + 12 =
T + 2 =
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Moby1

Just to extend on what guest has explained.

When we are tutoring students we like to point out similarities between question types where the same methods and techniques can be applied.

If you look at The Tutors free Demo CD

3. Word Letter Codes

9. Letter Series

14. Letter Connections

These three types of questions are "normally" completed by counting backwards or forwards in the alphabet and applying a rule to work out the answer.

Word Letter Codes sometimes have a question where you have to count in from the front of the alphabet and replicate the rule by counting in an equal number of letters from the back of the alphabet.

If a child can understand that some question types are similar they can work them out quicker.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now