GCSE Options

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SN

GCSE Options

Post by SN »

Can anyone tell me if it is advisable to choose a foreign language and an IT subject as GCSE options.
aliportico

Re: GCSE Options

Post by aliportico »

Definitely yes to a foreign language. After you've picked that, your Englishes, Maths, Sciences and a humanity, you're up to 7 or 8, and I don't think it matters too much which you choose to fill in the rest of the gaps. One of my daughters had to do a tech option (went for product design), and I encouraged the the second to choose one too (she is doing textiles), and I'm glad they're doing them as it requires lots of organisation and very different skills to their straight academic subjects. But other than that, I'd encourage them to use their last 2 or 3 slots to do what they're interested in, and if that's IT, fine :-)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

GCSE IT is not well regarded ...
daveg

Post by daveg »

Guest55 wrote:GCSE IT is not well regarded ...
To put it mildly.
moved

Post by moved »

I would also recommend a foreign language, not least as it is part of the eBacc.

Beyond that, as long as you have the standard maths, English x2, sciences and history/geography, I wouldn't worry too much. It becomes a numbers game.

If your child likes computing and the school offers the new gcse then I would go for that over ICT.

Dd is taking drama, which offers her a welcome break from the rest of the very academic subjects.

A lot of schools put their students in for a huge number of GCSEs. If this is the case, then go for whatever you fancy after the basics.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

daveg wrote:
Guest55 wrote:GCSE IT is not well regarded ...
To put it mildly.
Yeah, but if you're also doing maths, 2 English, 3 sciences, French, Spanish, RS, History and Textiles (like my dd2), then I don't think that doing compulsory IT is going to make anyone look askance at her! For most kids it's not going to be an issue, I think.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think you should be asking why IT is compulsory ...
SN

Post by SN »

Foreign language or IT is not compulsory in my Ds's school. However he has chosen French and Computing instead of ICT. He has also chosen one humanity. Seems to be finding Computing rather difficult and was wandering if he should have chosen music instead. I heard that Music is quite difficult too. Seems to be in a difficult situation as it might be too late to change now. Thought at the beginning that an IT subject would be useful in the future.
moved

Post by moved »

Computing is new and is supposed to be more rigorous than ICT. Speak to the school. music is far from easy. Is there not a nice tech subject or similar that can be a bit of done time from all of the academic rigour?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Oh hello Guest 55 again!

My ds chose ICT as an option ... and regretted it. At his comp., dc choose options middle of year 8.

He chose triple science which immediately, as you will know, reduced his options. He's not that clever, but didn't want to drop art, music, food tech, dt ... he chose to keep ICT. Within the first term he regretted his choice.

I think it counts as two GCSE's. Somehow. He doesn't struggle with it, or even seem to do much - he's designed a brochure. He is very good on computers - he knows what to do if we have a problem, he is quick - but I am fairly sure he'd be like that anyway, I don't think that has anything to do with ICT. He has a logical brain (I think!, I don't know!)

You are right. I wouldn't recommend ICT as an option.