Why do you love or hate KES...help me choose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HappyRobot

Why do you love or hate KES...help me choose

Post by HappyRobot »

I am still struggling as to which school to put first, so would love to hear why your ds loves or hates KES.

The other choice is camp hill boys.

Thanks in advance.
Okanagan

Re: Why do you love or hate KES...help me choose

Post by Okanagan »

If all else is equal I'd go with whichever is quickest to get to for you.
Say the difference in travel time is 12 minutes. Doesn't sound a lot?
Over a week that's 2 hours.
Over a school year 78 hours
Over 7 years of schooling 546 hours.
Assuming 14 hours a day awake that's 39 days.
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I agree with Okanagan, I would go with the most convenient one. I cannot stress how difficult a school that is a distance away can be. We currently have three children at 4 different schools, potentially 4 at 4 schools next year. It isn't just about the day to day travel, but after school clubs requiring collection, late trips back, concerts, parents evening, sports events, early closure days, snow days...
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

What does your gut feel say
Cheerios

Post by Cheerios »

Have you looked at the league tables? KES is a great school but KCH beats it at GCSE and A level.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

KECHB beats the rest of the KE grammars hands down and doesn't need to load up number of GCSE's taken in order to do so. KEFW students do between 11-14 subjects
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Paramjeet wrote:What does your gut feel say
Keeps changing....and ds just wants to go to a good school.....I think we made a major mistake by going to so many open evenings....now so confused.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Paramjeet wrote:KECHB beats the rest of the KE grammars hands down and doesn't need to load up number of GCSE's taken in order to do so. KEFW students do between 11-14 subjects
But are the boys only interested in studying or are they well-rounded...?
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

OK well I know very little about camp hill boys. My son is at KES though so I can tell you that for me the plus sides are good results, small school, good extension activities to support learning like trips to specific places. The sports are very important to the school which is great as my son loves sport, a less sporty child might find it a little intimidating. Good sense of tradition, boys are smart, great music, the concerts are lovely. Teaching seems good, good communication, lovely buildings on the whole.

Downsides, if your child is sporty then most saturday mornings will be taken up with this, also once a week after school they will have rugby or cricket practice which means you will have to collect your child as the buses are gone by then. Less clubs as more children come from further afield so not many clubs after school. Pastoral care is not brilliant, the facilities are lacking a little as no room to expand - in particular the 6th form facilities are poor in my opinion. The children come from a big area so lots of driving around for social activities. A little old fashioned at times.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

A wide cross section of socially savy boys; no clique whatsoever
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now