Nonsuch retest

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kk dad

Nonsuch retest

Post by kk dad »

Heard today that there is going to be a Nonsuch retest for some of the original candidates from the 19th September due to error in time allocation.

Don't know if this is for a part of the test or the the whole thing again. Either way, seems like those who take the retest might gain an advantage due to degree of familiarity. Certainly hope they don't get the same paper again!

Not happy from a personal standpoint but I guess have to have some sympathy for those who weren't given the right time allocation to complete the test.
Ela

Re: Nonsuch retest

Post by Ela »

How can I know if my dd had correct time allocation?
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi
This may be as a result of the post about the girls in one room who were not given the same time as other rooms. It was for the nvr paper only. There was an example question which girls should have been given a couple of minutes to practice on before the time started, but in one room the girls were told to do the practice question within the exam time. If this is the case there would be no need to worry if they are sitting the same paper as its nvr. For some children it could be worse second time round if they try to remember previous answers and don't rework the questions as it would be very easy to make lots of errors.
You could ring the school and put your mind at rest.
See link for op
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=27705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lollipop88

Nonsuch Retest on Saturday

Post by lollipop88 »

I think it is very unfair that a large number of girls are doing a retest of the Nonsuch exam.

If they sit the same paper : a large number of them have discussed the paper and the answers, they have already read the comprehension paper, they are familiar with the format and would have asked questions to their tutor and discussed it with them re: answers.

Either way, there will be numerous appeals both from parents whose girls are sitting the papers if they child does not pass and from parents who have sat the papers in regards with these girls re-sitting the SAME paper again!

Either way, NO real head guiding the school! Rudderless leadership!!

chaos! Nervous as anything waiting for DD results. :oops: :roll:
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

It is also unfair that they did not receive the same time as other candidates - hence the retest.

One would have thought that the test arrangements, timings etc would be extremely well managed................
kk dad

Post by kk dad »

I get that there needs to be retest.

However, what i'd like to know is whether they are doing the same paper again. If so, there has to be some degree of advantage (even if only small) and I'm uncomfortable with that. I'm sure were it my dd in this situation, she would benefit remebering types of question, eliminated answers, ones to miss out and come back to that she found difficult so as to optimise her time etc.

If the paper was different, but the same level of difficulty , then don't have any problems with that.
SuttonDad

Post by SuttonDad »

I was amused at the letter saying "due to circumstances beyond our control the results will be delayed".
It was the fault of nobody else!
For what it's worth, I heard that a different paper would be used for the resit.
What if they score lower second time round?
Presumably they have the option not to repeat if they were happy with the original test.
kk dad

Post by kk dad »

'What if they score lower second time round?'

Now that's a real can of worms, particularly if you end up having to go down the appeal route.

Pass the first time, but fail the retest.
Score higher the first time but lower on the retest and just miss the cut off.

Not sure if there is a previous precedent for this situation. One would think there probably is.
Nonsuchmad

Post by Nonsuchmad »

So u think score 320 for non-catchment is a hopeless case?
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Apparently it was a different paper for the resit, but the higher Mark was taken, and the lower Mark ignored.