Mixed or single sexed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
erewego

Mixed or single sexed

Post by erewego »

There are 2 grammar schools locally that my DC can attend. One mixed, one single sexed, Does anyone think it makes a great deal of difference? We do like both.
monstermum

Re: Mixed or single sexed

Post by monstermum »

There is a phrase that a boy does better in mixed and girl in single sex. BUT really does depend on your child and what their friendship groups are like at the moment....
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

There is research (don't ask me to quote which/where! Remember reading this while researching schools sometime back) that students perform better in single sex school till GCSE at least. For A Levels it seemed to matter less.
Scrumpy1

Post by Scrumpy1 »

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago but much keener for my dd to go to a mixed grammar. I think it is more natural, no 'boy mad' moments (yet) and their results are still amazing. Always think there is a slightly odd atmosphere in single sex schools. Only my opinion.
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

Ha Ha I'm trying to work out this one too. I remember when my son started at his primary school (mixed) the head said that girls do better in mixed schools because boys tend to question what they learn more where as girls accept and so they therefore learn from the questions the boys ask - so it seems it depends on which research you read :roll:

I asked a parent at one of the mixed grammars last year and she said her son had a girlfriend (he was a sixth former) but they had been together a while where as some of her friends with girls at single sex schools had had many boyfriends. Personally I went to a mixed school and the boys in my class were very immature, disrupting class with burping and other rude noises/smells even at age 15/16 that it was enough to put me off them! :D I think there are other factors in place like how big the school is as to how many other boys/girls your DC can be friends with, maybe the subjects or sports they offer due to either being mixed or single sex. I initially wanted my son to go to a single sex because he attends outside clubs he will still mix with girls but my possible 2nd choice of grammar is mixed and I have been swayed more by the academic achievements and other opportunities it holds. Good luck
erewego

Post by erewego »

My son is very much in the mindset of girls are horrid still. I told him that won't last he doesn't believe me.

When I see the boys coming out of school they usually have girls from the local school girls school hanging around with them. So I think when he is ready there will be girls around for him to mix with.

Six sexed does seem artificial but if it works for that short time if their life I don't mind.

So many decisions.
dlb

Post by dlb »

hi IMO I think mixed schools are better choice! Life is about mixing the two sexes so why segregate them at school??! My DC is at a mixed GS and I think it was definitely the right decision!! They get used to being around the opposite sex and also have friends of both sexes. Much healthier!! Just my opinion....!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!