Decisions Decisions! Decision time!!! WCHS v CCHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Helping Hand

Decisions Decisions! Decision time!!! WCHS v CCHS

Post by Helping Hand »

"A real decision is measured by the fact that you've taken a new action. If there's no action, you haven't truly decided."

Our DD has scored high enough to secure in both schools and we are very proud of her...now to decide which one to put as 1st choice. We are not in a catchment area of CCHS.
English Score 31/50
Mathematics Score 38/40
Verbal Reasoning Score 73/80
overall, standardised, weighted score of: 380.836

Any feed back from parents would be appreciated from their experiences and wise words.
Many thanks and good luck to all of you.
Manana

Re: Decisions Decisions! Decision time!!! WCHS v CCHS

Post by Manana »

Helping Hand wrote:"A real decision is measured by the fact that you've taken a new action. If there's no action, you haven't truly decided."

Our DD has scored high enough to secure in both schools and we are very proud of her...now to decide which one to put as 1st choice. We are not in a catchment area of CCHS.
English Score 31/50
Mathematics Score 38/40
Verbal Reasoning Score 73/80
overall, standardised, weighted score of: 380.836

Any feed back from parents would be appreciated from their experiences and wise words.
Many thanks and good luck to all of you.
Where is WCHS-I haven't heard of that? You don't mean WHSG, do you?

I think it would depend on where you live; which school is closer?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Helping Hand put the nearest or the one easy to commute by public transport/contract bus.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
aang

Post by aang »

I assume you are referring to Woodford County High School.

Visit both schools with your DD and see which one you both prefer. If the two of you have different preferences, that may make for some lively discussions..
mclm

Post by mclm »

I would base the decision on several things:

a) which school you both prefer
b) length, ease and safety of commute. There's a big difference between a point to point bus or train ride than a commute that takes the same time or less but includes several changes / waiting around on cold platforms, etc. Can she participate in after school clubs, or would she be tied to a contract bus ? If she does go to afterschool clubs, can she get home safely ?
c) extra curricular activites - what do they offer that interests her ?
d) Range of catchment - a large range can be incredibly isolating if all your school friends live 15+ miles away and it is difficult to meet up at weekends / holidays.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the decision making !
Helping Hand

Post by Helping Hand »

Many thanks to all of you for your replies on this forum. It is very helpful to know from other parents and their experiences. I wish you all very best as well.
babes

Post by babes »

Hi
I had the same dilemma a few years back my DD sat both exams and came in top 20 for both schools we went with WCHS and she is now in year 9 and on the Gifted and Talented. She loves school and is thriving, able to take part in all activities as getting home is easy no timed buses or trains to get. I think you need to weigh everything the distance as well. As they progress into the school i.e. year 9 onwards the homework does increase. I am sure you will make the right decision for your child. This year my son took the exam and did not get enough for ICHS and don’t think will get into KEGS as we are out of catchments. At his primary school he is top group for all subjects and his on the gifted & talented for sports. Unfortunately he did not do as well on the day. As a parent I wanted the same for him but we have told him with the love, guidance and support that he will receive from home he will thrive wherever he goes.
moved

Post by moved »

All of the above! Many of my pupils have had the same choice. Most chose to have less time spent travelling, which meant that they chose WCHS. Another point to remember is that with the catchment that is now imposed fewer children will be there to accompany your daughter on her journeys.
bhags

Post by bhags »

I am having the similar dilemma and done some research on the quality and performance of both the schools(WCHS and CCHS).
Since my daughter got[based on the score(ChCHS) and rank(WCHS)] the both places, here are the details.

GCSE
School Name A B C D E Column A Percentage of pupils achieving 5 A* to C grades or equivalent including A* to C grades in maths and English.
Chelmsford County High School for Girls FD Selective 111 100% 1030 93% 1150.7 Column B Number of Key Stage four pupils in all English Bacc subject areas.
Colchester County High School for Girls FD Selective 93 100% 1025.5 85% 1081 Column C Percentage of key stage four pupils achieving English Baccalaureate
Woodford County High School CY Selective 114 100% 1040.5 96% 892.6 Column D Percentage of Key Stage Pupils achieving A* to C in both English and maths GCSE.
Westcliff High School for Girls FD Selective 94 100% 1030.4 60% 1048.6 Column E Value added measure based on the best 8 GCSEs and equivalent resu.
Column F Average A-level point score per student.

2012- Alevel Results:
% A* % A*AB
Chelmsford County High School for Girls FD Selective 20.05 90.89
Woodford County High School CY Selective 12.47 77.61
Colchester County High School for Girls FD Selective 18.55 88.92
The league tables above clearly gives an idea to me to choose WCHS(GCSE results both WCHS and ChCHS are the same). Moreover most of the brilliant girls from outside catchment of ChCHS will join in the WCHS and obviously WCHS will beat ChCHS in few years time i.e when our pupil reaches GCSE...

So I strongly decided not to send DD to ChCHS due to journey. First preference is WCHS.
moved

Post by moved »

I am sure that your comment

Moreover most of the brilliant girls from outside catchment of ChCHS will join in the WCHS and obviously WCHS will beat ChCHS in few years time i.e when our pupil reaches GCSE...

is tongue in cheek, but please indicate this in future or other parents with brilliant girls, who are going to CCHS, may find it offensive.

Thanks Moved, the Mod.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now