VR marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
seriousmum

VR marks

Post by seriousmum »

Has anyone this year or in recent years had an increase in marks following a request to have the papers remarked?

Thanks,
SM
Minesatea

Re: VR marks

Post by Minesatea »

I am aware of a boy being awarded a place at CRGS, ? four years ago, following a remark. I don't know which paper was involved though.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Minesatea wrote:I am aware of a boy being awarded a place at CRGS, ? four years ago, following a remark. I don't know which paper was involved though.
Thanks Minesatea. I am beginning to think it's not worth the risk. I have been told the marks can go up as well as down. One mark less and my son moves out of the yellow zone.
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

I didn't know you could request a remark? One more mark on the VR would push DS's SS up quite a bit, and due to the fact that he was in pain, I'm wondering if his markings were clear on that paper, as his painkillers had worn off by that point.

How do you go about that?
longtimelurker

Post by longtimelurker »

We are also waiting for a remark. Well, not exactly, her head teacher doesn't believe they are her scores. He thinks that the CSSE muddled her up. He is such a lovely man and I think he will be more disappointed than me if they come back the same.

Cardy, do you mind me asking why you would want a remark when your son already has such a high score? My DD1 is at CCHS with a lower score than your son's and she is one of the girls who is awarded prizes. No one cares what the child's score is when they are there. I think most remarks are for the borderline children or children like my daughter who had strange scores. She has told me that it all went wrong, so I think she is probably right. She is clever. Her exam just went wrong.

I am sorry your son is poorly and I hope he is feeling better soon.
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

337.171 isn't that high a mark when CRGS is your only viable option, and it's in the orange zone, and you KNOW that isn't a true mark of his abilities due to illness.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

CardyMow wrote:337.171 isn't that high a mark when CRGS is your only viable option, and it's in the orange zone, and you KNOW that isn't a true mark of his abilities due to illness.
You have 373.171 quoted in another post. Probably confused a few people.
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

Which thread? It's a typo. :oops: I'll go and edit it. In my defence, I'm typing on a phone touchscreen!
moved

Post by moved »

CardyMow wrote:337.171 isn't that high a mark when CRGS is your only viable option, and it's in the orange zone, and you KNOW that isn't a true mark of his abilities due to illness.
The school will mark the papers for you. I'm not sure what is wrong with your son, but it sounds like you have solid evidence for an appeal, should he not make it. Sorry, when I posted the other day I'm sure you had said 37?. With that score you wouldn't need to worry.

Any child sitting an exam in need of surgery is obviously not going to do his best. I think you have a good chance anyway.

Over the years I have heard of a few mishaps with marking, but not many. I have heard of candidates being swapped, but that was a long time ago. I have also heard of marks changing by one mark, but rarely.
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

He's quite heavy handed at the best of times, and I'm worried that with him being in pain, that he might not have been quite so conscientious with his rubbing out as I had told him he needed to be. Just one more mark in the VR would at least put him in the yellow zone.

He says that he DID change 5+ answers when he checked the VR paper, too. So it seems plausible to me.

I know I will be appealing if he doesn't get a place, but if this IS the reason he lost marks in the VR, that could be avoided.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now