Anselm's over subscription

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Taunton

Anselm's over subscription

Post by Taunton »

My son passed Anselm's and 11+ and we have a dilemma.

We want him to go to Anselm's as his older brother goes there but we fall in catagory 3 criteria (Non-Catholic boys whose parents wish them to have a Catholic education.) It doesn't mention about having siblings in the school. I know nearly 200 passed the exam and am sure quite a few took the exam as a back-up but there are only 135 places available.

I don't want to put Anselm's as first choice and Calday as second and not get into either due to over subscription.

Does anyboy know whether they take siblings into account when deciding on places.
Bati

Re: Anselm's over subscription

Post by Bati »

I have no idea about the sibbling criteria sorry
If you phone the school or wirral council education department then i am sure they will be able to tell you
How did you find out how many passed - i would be interested in finding out how many passed upton hall and the wirral 11+ so i can try and work out what chance my dd has of getting into the schools
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

We did not enter our DS into St Anselms exam but went to the Parent evening to check out the school
should we decide to

The Head said clearly during this in the hall.

"IF you pass the entrance exam and put it down as your first Choice then you are more or less guarenteed a place"

With 200 kids passing throws that out of the window. I assume some will not put it down as first choice and have taken as a second option.
Wirralian

Post by Wirralian »

Taunton wrote:My son passed Anselm's and 11+ and we have a dilemma.

We want him to go to Anselm's as his older brother goes there but we fall in catagory 3 criteria (Non-Catholic boys whose parents wish them to have a Catholic education.) It doesn't mention about having siblings in the school. I know nearly 200 passed the exam and am sure quite a few took the exam as a back-up but there are only 135 places available.

I don't want to put Anselm's as first choice and Calday as second and not get into either due to over subscription.

Does anyboy know whether they take siblings into account when deciding on places.
Hi Taunton, take a look at this link from St. Anselm's, to see if it clarifies things.

http://www.st-anselms.com/180/admissions-201314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
miggi

Post by miggi »

If its any help to you in my sons school approx 12 boys took and passed for St Anselms. Of those I think all passed the 11plus, and all but 1 are putting WGBS as 1st choice and most St Anselms as 2nd. As we are in Bebington I cant see distance for WGBS being an issue. I.m sure there will be lots of others of others who have done the same.
Taunton

Post by Taunton »

Miggi, thanks for your reply, that's comforting to know!
HopefulDen

Post by HopefulDen »

Miggi is right
192 passed the test this year so you are right about numbers but St Anslems is normally under subscribed.
Many non Catholic boys take the test as a plan B in case they don't pass 11+. You will have no problem getting in particularly if there is a sibling there already. Calday is also under subscribed most years and is a much bigger school and has more places so it ,makes sense to put that second. Either school will have your son if you put it as a first choice. My boy passed to St Anslems and so did Miggi's but neither of us will have it as a first choice, so that 3 down at least!
Denise J