KE Aston vs Bishop Vesey

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muminbrum

KE Aston vs Bishop Vesey

Post by muminbrum »

Hello all,

I have only discovered this forum whilst googling my 'problem' and wished I'd found you earlier. I have two more DC so will be back for more and hopefully to contribute to discussions.

We live fairly close to FW school and DS1 has had his heart set on that school from the start. He has done well in the tests and has a place a HGS (which will be our 4th choice). His Consortium score was a couple of points over the usual QS for FW so whilst we are hopeful, I am being realistic that it may not be enough as who knows what will happen to the QS with the new system.

It is therefore a strong possibility that we will get our number 2 school and I'm really struggling to decide. Both myself and DS really liked Aston and BV when we looked round and I can't decide between the two. I was probably more impressed by the teachers and head at Aston in that they were more welcoming and interested in talking to parents but can't get over the lovely site and safe area of BV.

Travelwise, although Sutton is further (and would be more of a nightmare if I ever needed to drive him there), in terms of his travel there isn't much in it. The Green Bus to Aston passes the end of our road at 7.10am and takes just over an hour, to BV it would be leaving home at 7.30am for a 10-15 walk to station, then 30 min on train, then a 5 minute walk at the other end.

Most of his school friends are unlikely to get into GS with scores in low 200s so not able to chat with their mums and DS1s dad didn't bother to look at any schools so no help there!

I'm very happy and grateful to be in the position of choosing between schools and I'm sure either would be great but would value some other input into my decision. If it helps DS1 is an introvert - quiet until you get to know him but then quite the clown - and likes maths, science, art and sport.

Thanks!
first time mum

Re: KE Aston vs Bishop Vesey

Post by first time mum »

Hi - Its as if you could be reading my mind....!
We all loved Five Ways but are a few points shy of last years score so need to be realistic. We loved Aston too - DS would need to leave at 7.10am, but is used early starts.

I have to confess we never visited Bishop Vesey (which I now regret!). These are our 2 main choices also. Having only visited one we are swayed.

Being slightly in a different situation, of all DS friends who sat, the majority got higher scores and have already chosen their schools. Its frustrating as we dont know if peopel are genuinely trying to help or trying to sway you away from one of their choice schools.

DS is similar to your son - loves Maths, art & sports. Although he is more of an extrovert!

I hope you make your choice soon. Im sure your son will thrive in whichever he gets into. Roll on 1st March...
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Hi first time mum,

I think that I read somewhere on here that BV are having an open morning on either the 30th or 31st if you want to look.

Apart from the lovely site with playing fields, the BV pupils were very impressive - eloquent, confident young men and just a little more polished than at Aston but that might be the Sutton-effect :wink:
first time mum

Post by first time mum »

Hi Muminbrum

We have our half term next week so are away :( wont be able to view the school.
Am currently checking out transport routes.......still think its too far for us as we are Solihull area.

Good Luck :D
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Hi first time mum

We have looked into public transport to BV from Solihull area and it will probably take approx. 1.5 hours each way so we have ruled it out for our DS as think the travelling will kill him on top of doing homework etc. and if he wanted to stay late for an after school club he won't be getting home until well after 6pm.

We too are considering KEA as it was his 2nd favourite after CH (he didn't quite get enough to guarantee a place there) and at 45 minutes on the Green Bus the travelling is not too bad.
robotboy

Post by robotboy »

Hi Muminbrum, Just wanted to tell you that my friend has a son that goes to BV. She was worried at first as her son had to travel on the bus and train on his own. However, BV was very helpful and paired him up with an older kid from the school as his travelling buddy. If you have a concern raise it with the Head teacher. All the best!!
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Thanks robotboy - that's good to know and how nice of the older boys to be willing to babysit! We went by train to the open evening at BV and it was full of KES and KEHG students going back to Sutton so presumed it is full of BV and SCGSG students doing the reverse trip. I'm more concerned about the prospect of the bus trip to Handsworth GS on the number 11 bus I think as I've heard of issues with kids from George Dixon on there. Anyway in the end we have gone for Aston over BV as our second choice so, assuming there isn't the massive swing that some posters on here are predicting, he'll be catching a local bus to FW or the Green Bus to Aston.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Visited Aston yesterday and BV today. BV won hands down and even though ds will be travelling an extra 40 minutes per day, he was much keener on BV.

BV has moved up our CAF on the basis of visit today.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

You all decided then now I hope, been tough after all these visits!
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Yes, sent the CAF off early afternoon. If I started to think about it anymore I could come up with a completely different order - perhaps even schools - but it is now done and I won't think about it until 1 March 2013 - well maybe just a bit :lol:

Now onto indi exams...........