Tiffin boys vs Langley Grammer/Herschel/St Bernanrd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ap2004

Tiffin boys vs Langley Grammer/Herschel/St Bernanrd

Post by ap2004 »

Hello, please can you comment as to whether Tiffins is better than langley/herschel/St benard options. I live in slough, hence, wanted to check. slough and tiffins scores are 122 and 218 respectively.
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin boys vs Langley Grammer/Herschel/St Bernanrd

Post by tiffinboys »

Beauty is in the eye of beholder.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
ap2004

Post by ap2004 »

tiffinboys wrote:Beauty is in the eye of beholder.
that's based on emotions. I want know based on facts and data :D
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

ap2004 wrote:
if you consider in terms of university destinations, then certainly tiffin is best as it always sends 10-20 pupils to oxbridge and most of the rest to russell group unis, where as slough schools hardly send anyone to oxbridge (sometimes 1 - 2 pupil may go)

if u r happy for ur ds to commute or to relocate, then put tiffin as 1st choice then slough schools. this is just my opinion
ap2004

Post by ap2004 »

thanks a lot Harrow 123. I have heard that 3 folks got into Oxbridge this year.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

ap2004 wrote:
In that case, one has to define what is important and relevant to them, as these criteria would be different for every one. In the final analysis, it may still be the heart which will decide. :wink:
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Dear ap2004

Based purely on your scores , in my humble opinion you are more or less guaranteed a Slough place, but not so for Tiffin.

I went back a few years on this forum and it seems that the required mark for Tiffin must be 229+.( I'm assuming you are after Tiffin boys)

If you really want Tiffins or are not really sure still , I think that by putting Tiffin first won't jepordise your Slough place..(depending on if you want Herschel, St Bernards or Slough grammar). I think for Langley it might be a risk putting it second as this requires a higher mark similar to what you have .

This is my first time I'm filling in a CAF form and am just going by what I've read and benefitted from on this forum.

All the best
ap2004

Post by ap2004 »

Browser wrote:Dear ap2004

Based purely on your scores , in my humble opinion you are more or less guaranteed a Slough place, but not so for Tiffin.

I went back a few years on this forum and it seems that the required mark for Tiffin must be 229+.( I'm assuming you are after Tiffin boys)

If you really want Tiffins or are not really sure still , I think that by putting Tiffin first won't jepordise your Slough place..(depending on if you want Herschel, St Bernards or Slough grammar). I think for Langley it might be a risk putting it second as this requires a higher mark similar to what you have .

This is my first time I'm filling in a CAF form and am just going by what I've read and benefitted from on this forum.

All the best

Thanks for your feedback, Browser. I think Tiffin may be bot difficult based on a score of 218. I am thinking of putting it as 5th option. Langley will be my first option followed by Herschel, St. Bernard and Burnham. I am thinking of putting non-grammar as a backup as 6th option, just in case.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Just a quick note. The order that you put schools on the CAF should not be based on your likelihood of getting in. It should be based on your true preference irrespective of how likely or unlikely you think it is that you will get it. The schools are blind to which order you put them in and you have no better or worse chance of getting in based on the order you put them in. Do not think that there are some tactics to be played out here. There are not. Honest.
ap2004

Post by ap2004 »

ThreeKids wrote:Just a quick note. The order that you put schools on the CAF should not be based on your likelihood of getting in. It should be based on your true preference irrespective of how likely or unlikely you think it is that you will get it. The schools are blind to which order you put them in and you have no better or worse chance of getting in based on the order you put them in. Do not think that there are some tactics to be played out here. There are not. Honest.
thanks, Threekids for your inputs. I don't think its about tactics or strategy, but the reality of what we (specifically my DS) wants,whether he can get it there/not based on his score as well as consideration about others. I think it will be very difficult for him to get into Tiffins, hence, here is no point in putting it as first option, as it may be disadvantageous for somebody else.

It would be interesting to know what would be your considerations.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now