Year 5 test results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Year 5 test results

Post by Guest »

hello, my daughter has just finished year 5. I really want her to get a place at a better high school and like most parents, think she has a lot of potential. I feel i may have left her training a little too late though as i have not been through this before. What is the usual year five results that most children obtain that are likely to get anywhere in the eleven plus>>
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

My daughter got level 5 at the end of year 6 and passed the 11+ for West Wirby,I think if she is about high 4 or 5 then give it a go,it's not to late 11+ ,it is not till end of Nov,
Have ago at the practice cd's on here for a guide
Pensby
katel

Post by katel »

We didn't start doing any practice at all til the summer after year 5. My daughter had 5 4 4 for her year 5 sats. Don't be panicked by the "you have to start coaching in Reception" stuff you'll hear in the playground - a little gentle practice over the Summer (twice a week or so) then a bit more during the first term of year 6 is enough for most children with grammar school potential in my humble opinion. But I am prepared to be disagreed with!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

In our experience the ideal starting time for tuition is the January before the tests. This allows for a more gentle approach and a full programme of tuition can be followed. Starting with all the question types, before attempting question papers.

Children starting after September with no exposure to the 11+ content generally require two sessions per week with support activities at home.

We occassionally get latecomers who have to jump straight into the tests and get demoralised by initial low scores. However, those with the ability can improve very quickly.

With the exception of the vocabulary based questions: antonyms, synonyms, compound words, linked words, mssing words (help Patricia!!) the majority of the test is based on correct method and technique and a good grasp of times tables.

Children with expected SATs scores of 5,5,5 or any two 5´s with a 4, should be the main success groups for Grammar school entrance, but it has been known for children with lower SATs results to pass.

Children who are considered "bright" do need to be exposed to the 11+ question types as the National Curriculum does not contain much of the 11+ content.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

I only have 2 results for my daughter, she obtained a 4a in Literacy and a 3b in numeracy. I am looking at the Wirral 11+. She has an assesment today to see if she is capable of passing, keeping my fingers crossed x

I hope I have not left it too late and there is some time to prepare her with tuition.

Another question, how do you prepare you child for a change of school, knowing that it is best for them doesnt always go down too well with a child who wants to go the same school as their friends. :roll:
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

When you go to the open days in Sept your daughter will see whats on offer at the Grammars ,she WILL make new, better friends at her new school,sometimes kids need to know we do know best !!
Good luck

Penbsy
katel

Post by katel »

New friends - maybe not better!

Post by Guest »

Katel,
My daughter had a pretty rough time in year 6,she now has the nicest group of friends since she started in year 7,now going in to year 9 she is a happy confident girl all thanks to her new school( and our encouragement of course!

Pensby
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

My son had predicted SAT's ranging from a 3b to a 4a. In proper SATs he got all 5's (bar one 4) - he missed the 11+ pass mark by 5 points but got into Grammar on appeal.

He had no tutor, we went through some practise papers from about the Sept/Oct before the 11+

I suppose it depends on the child, but its never too late! If you dont try you'll never know.

S
Sue
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now