Bexley Grammar or Dartford Grammar for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BHMum

Bexley Grammar or Dartford Grammar for boys

Post by BHMum »

Hello

My DS has passed Bexley 11 plus and has scored 421 in Kent eleven plus as well. We live in Bexleyheath but we are in a dilemma as to the the school to put him into. Whether to go for Dartford boys or Bexley Grammar. Would anyone have any opinion on this in terms of academics and behaviour?
Many Thanks
BHMum
Twinpeeks

Re: Bexley Grammar or Dartford Grammar for boys

Post by Twinpeeks »

DGS is best!
chunkster

Post by chunkster »

We are in the same postion but are fortunate enough to have a friend whose son is at DGS. We have been informed that although it is arguebly the top school in the area, it comes with a lot of pressure on the children with them getting swamped with homework each night. If your child will be able to cope with this ethos will be your dilemma, however it was not for us. I've been to Bexley Grammar and found the atmosphere to be a lot more accommodating and from looking at last years results they were not too far behind DGS. Good luck with your decision.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

BGS wins - no contest! :lol:
BHMum

Post by BHMum »

Thank you for your replies, they are very much appreciated. BGS is only 2 miles away from us and one of us may be able to drop him off in the morning. But Dartford is a 40 minute journey for DS involving a bus ride to Bexleyheath shopping Centre and then a trip on #96. We also liked BGS and found the atmosphere to be warm and the teachers to be friendly. It was more like an extension to primary school and not so much like a college where a little child could get overawed and feel intimidated. However I have heard that DGS has had better results and is more reputed, although I have also heard that rugby is compulsory.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Rugby is indeed compulsory at Dartford for year 7 and I hear the boys have to attend every Saturday as well. Both great schools , he could always go to Bexley to year 11 and transfer to Dartford for sixth form, if you are that keen on Dartford and its reputation . Dartford is a highly sought after school. A lot of the kids at Dartford have a long commute and always look tired . The 96 route is also a straightforward journey but it is quite a long journey especially with the traffic and the amount of kids from Columbus, townley and other schools using that route .
BHMum

Post by BHMum »

That is true. I agree with you. The long journey to Dartford is what is veering me towards putting him in to Bexley. He is only a little boy after all and I don't think it is right for him to have that commute every day.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo BHMum

I think they are both great schools and in the end it will, of course, depend on which you think is more suitable for your DS. But I just wanted to add some personal views of DGS in case they help with your decision.

I have a DS in year 10 and he travels in from Lewisham. The journey is long and not ideal, but he manages it very well and has a great group of friends who he travels in with. (Would travelling by train rather than bus be an option for you as it may be less stressful?)

The school itself is fantastic and he has been very happy there. The Head, in particular, I think is outstanding. Although it is obviously a very academic school, I don't feel that they pressurise the boys and my DS doesn't seem to have that much homework (although he says he sometimes does some on the train). They do all play rugby in games in Year 7 but my understanding was that the Saturday sessions were strongly encouraged but not compulsory. My DS is not very sporty but he did go to the Saturday sessions for the first term and quite enjoyed them despite himself, but I seem to remember that there were a few boys who didn't go. It might be worth checking with the school what the current policy is.

Good luck to your DS whichever school you decide. I would certainly recommend DGS!

PS Do feel free to PM me if you have any specific queries or would like any other info about DGS.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

BHMum, refer to the other thread BGS v C & S and see the post from Hopeful2002.
Enough said! :D
BHMum

Post by BHMum »

Thank you all for your responses. You have been very helpful. It appears that all said and done, both BGS and DGS seem to be excellent schools. We are, once again, visiting DGS on Thursday to give us another chance to look around and ask questions. My DS is not the sporty type and only prefers casual sports. He is good at maths and likes science but needs to be pushed.