Should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pickle

Should I appeal?

Post by pickle »

Hi,

I've posted a document to the appeals box. I wondered if it's worth me appealing as my son failed this entrance exam.

P.S. This is my first time posting so forgive me if I've done it all wrong!!
Etienne

Re: Should I appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, pickle!

A similar question has been posted here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 03#p340303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope our replies help you too.
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you for your quick response Etienne.

I will digest everything and then try to decide what to do!

Am I right in thinking that I now work from the angle of showing them why he should have a place (i.e. working at levels etc.) as opposed to why I feel he didn't pass or will it be a mixture of the two?

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well, this is all quite overwhelming :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry - we're used to overwhelmed parents on here! :)
(We'd really start to worry if you weren't overwhelmed!)

It's a mixture - but academic evidence will be much more important, as will reasons for wanting a place.
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thanks again Etienne.

As far as academic evidence goes, all I know is he is in the top sets and his current levels are Maths 4B and English 5C/B. Are these the sorts of levels needed or are they not high enough? He is a May birthday.

Also, is a Headteacher/teacher obliged to support a pupil?

As for reasons for wanting a place.....could these include distance and personality or purely academic reasons?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this whole process :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as academic evidence goes, all I know is he is in the top sets and his current levels are Maths 4B and English 5C/B. Are these the sorts of levels needed or are they not high enough? He is a May birthday.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, is a Headteacher/teacher obliged to support a pupil?
No - but it is to be hoped that they will!
As for reasons for wanting a place.....could these include distance and personality or purely academic reasons?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this whole process :?
No problem, but you do need to study the Q&As - you've a lot of reading to do! :)
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you once again. It's much easier to find the info I'm looking for as you've pointed me straight to it :)

One more thing, having read the document I posted in the appeals box, in your experience, does this sort of thing usually happen? I find it hard to believe really.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nothing would surprise me! :?
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

:shock:

It's becoming apparent that quite a few parents are appealing for the same reasons (only one other addressed it at the time).

In your opinion, will this help or hinder?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think it matters that they are appealing as a result of conditions at the test.

However, if there are a lot of appellants, what might matter is if they have academic cases and reasons for wanting a place that are so very strong as to overshadow yours.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After hearing all the timely appeals, the panel (and it must be the same panel) has to balance each parental case against the prejudice to the school. They must then consider whether the school could cope with the total number of (potentially) successful appeals. If they decide the school could not cope, they are obliged to move away from “each case is considered purely on its own merits,” and they have to start comparing cases. They put all the cases in what they consider to be order of merit, and starting with the strongest they work their way through the list, deciding in each case whether the parental case outweighs the prejudice to the school. If they think that it does, then a place is offered. (Each time they decide to admit an extra pupil, of course, the prejudice to the school has become greater, and they will be conscious of this as they move on to take their decision on the next case.)
Etienne