Eaton College

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Eaton College

Post by Guest »

I see from the news papers that Eton College are proposing to provide 40% of assisted places, and in order to do so, will need to raise £50m in funds to support this concept.

1 Why?
2 Who is going to fund it?
3 At £26k/per student per year ar the numbers dropping or the qulaity of results not good enough anymore?

What's going on?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 68,00.html

Private schools have been under pressure to give more back to society since the Charities Act took effect last year. The law took away a presumption, which had existed before, that an institution offering education automatically had a public benefit.

Last week, in a submission to the Commons public administration select committee, the Charity Commission laid out what would be expected of independent schools. People on low incomes, it said, must be among those who benefit, and moves to offer subsidised places to poorer children, as at Eton, would count towards this.

It is also filtering down, when I moved my daughter from independent nursery to state reception we were invited to discuss financial assistance. A friend who had an interview with head teacher was offered a free place in return for "helping out" it was suggested even painting & decorating.

I think it is probably right that if a school wants charitable status then it should put something tangible back into the community.

Post by Guest »

How did the school manage to raise £20m in 18 months?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now