Kendrick v St Bernards

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Busymum2012

Kendrick v St Bernards

Post by Busymum2012 »

We received DD's results today for Kendrick and she got 117. From what I have read on other threads her chances seem quite high of getting in??

DD also sat the St Bernard's paper and scored 120.

I now cannot decide which to put first, I never imagined I would be in this position!!!

The thing for me is they are so different, but are both appealing for different reasons! Kendrick definately has better facilities, but I am worried it is a hot house with little pastoral care. I have heard that there are a higher proportion of girls with mental health issues and that worries me! I am obviously very impressed with their results and their passion for education, but wonder how supportive they are?

In love the family feel at St Bernards, they are very caring and the atmosphere is very warm. However, the facilities are not great, the building is in a poor state of repair and the results are not quite as high as Kendrick.

Any thoughts?????
Kiyasarin

Re: Kendrick v St Bernards

Post by Kiyasarin »

Hi there. You are in a win win position - many congratulations! From what I know through friends who have had children at St Bernard's it really does sound to be a wonderfully supportive school. The results will necessarily be slightly lower overall as it has a slightly more comprehensive intake than Kendrick....that would no doubt not affect each individual child's attainment. Best of luck in making your choice.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Busymum2012 wrote:The thing for me is they are so different, but are both appealing for different reasons! Kendrick definately has better facilities, but I am worried it is a hot house with little pastoral care. I have heard that there are a higher proportion of girls with mental health issues and that worries me! I am obviously very impressed with their results and their passion for education, but wonder how supportive they are?
I don't know anything about St Bernards, but I have a daughter in Y11 at Kendrick who loves it there, and my youngest daughter will be applying next autumn. I do remember saying when dd1 started there that it was probably best if you were very bright, very confident or very thick-skinned - my daughter is certainly the latter 2, so more delicate flowers may have different experiences. However, she hasn't found it pressured (I'd be quite happy if she felt under a little *more* pressure tbh!) and has good relationships with most of her teachers. I've generally felt at parents evenings that they do seem to 'get' her.

(She is a bit loopy, and seems to have several rather eccentric friends - perhaps that's the sort of thing the "mental health issues" rumours refer to :wink: I don't know what the average is, or what would count as higher, or how one would even find out such things in the first place, so I probably wouldn't bother paying much attention to that sort of thing.)

There's a lot of mixing vertically through the years, mostly through all the inter-house competitions, but also through the clubs run by 6th formers, and I think that was really good when my dd1 was in Y7 and Y8, that there were some older girls who knew her. She's vice house captain now (house captain is a Y13) and really enjoys getting to know the younger ones who join in things.

If my dd3 gets into Kendrick I would be very happy, no qualms at all.
Busymum2012

Post by Busymum2012 »

Kiyasarin wrote:Hi there. You are in a win win position - many congratulations! From what I know through friends who have had children at St Bernard's it really does sound to be a wonderfully supportive school. The results will necessarily be slightly lower overall as it has a slightly more comprehensive intake than Kendrick....that would no doubt not affect each individual child's attainment. Best of luck in making your choice.
Thank you very much, we are very proud (as always!). DD has worked hard, but it paid off!
Busymum2012

Post by Busymum2012 »

aliportico wrote:
Busymum2012 wrote:The thing for me is they are so different, but are both appealing for different reasons! Kendrick definately has better facilities, but I am worried it is a hot house with little pastoral care. I have heard that there are a higher proportion of girls with mental health issues and that worries me! I am obviously very impressed with their results and their passion for education, but wonder how supportive they are?
I don't know anything about St Bernards, but I have a daughter in Y11 at Kendrick who loves it there, and my youngest daughter will be applying next autumn. I do remember saying when dd1 started there that it was probably best if you were very bright, very confident or very thick-skinned - my daughter is certainly the latter 2, so more delicate flowers may have different experiences. However, she hasn't found it pressured (I'd be quite happy if she felt under a little *more* pressure tbh!) and has good relationships with most of her teachers. I've generally felt at parents evenings that they do seem to 'get' her.

(She is a bit loopy, and seems to have several rather eccentric friends - perhaps that's the sort of thing the "mental health issues" rumours refer to :wink: I don't know what the average is, or what would count as higher, or how one would even find out such things in the first place, so I probably wouldn't bother paying much attention to that sort of thing.)

There's a lot of mixing vertically through the years, mostly through all the inter-house competitions, but also through the clubs run by 6th formers, and I think that was really good when my dd1 was in Y7 and Y8, that there were some older girls who knew her. She's vice house captain now (house captain is a Y13) and really enjoys getting to know the younger ones who join in things.

If my dd3 gets into Kendrick I would be very happy, no qualms at all.

These are really helpful comments thank you. We are in a really fortunate decision to have the choice and would be delighted with either school being allocated, I think the decision making now is just down to which school would better suit DD's needs and the jury is still out! :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Not sure why anyone would think St Bernard's is 'slightly more comprehensive' ? :shock:

Strange thing to say. I've had three go through this school, and on balance it is pretty good. Results have been excellent.

The head is retiring in the summer though, if that's a bearing.
Kiyasarin

Post by Kiyasarin »

Yikes- can see how my comment can easily be misinterpreted. I meant 'comprehensive' in the sense of more inclusive/balanced intake ie (if only marginally) a slightly wider range of abilities and that for that reason it would be natural that a school taking only the top scoring candidates might appear to be getting slightly higher results overall. In a nutshell I meant to say that comparing results between two very good schools is possibly a red herring- they are both going to be developing the full potential of each individual student. A great shame the headmaster there is leaving- he will be a difficult act to follow.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Busymum2012 wrote:We received DD's results today for Kendrick and she got 117. From what I have read on other threads her chances seem quite high of getting in??

DD also sat the St Bernard's paper and scored 120.

I now cannot decide which to put first, I never imagined I would be in this position!!!

The thing for me is they are so different, but are both appealing for different reasons! Kendrick definately has better facilities, but I am worried it is a hot house with little pastoral care. I have heard that there are a higher proportion of girls with mental health issues and that worries me! I am obviously very impressed with their results and their passion for education, but wonder how supportive they are?

In love the family feel at St Bernards, they are very caring and the atmosphere is very warm. However, the facilities are not great, the building is in a poor state of repair and the results are not quite as high as Kendrick.

Any thoughts?????
What is this about

I have heard that there are a higher proportion of girls with mental health issues...

Please provide more details
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

And to be honest, Kiyasarin, 10 years ago I would have agreed with you. It is no longer the case though, in my view. Sorry I think I came across as fairly blunt, that wasn't my intention :D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Like all other exam hot houses, this simply means that some girls may feel very pressurized at the school to perform better and better. Some people say similar things about Tiffins and all other grammars from time to time. However, I am sure that all schools take measures to avoid this situation. Problem may be felt more by kids who travel from long distances and are unable to study well or participate in after school activites.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.