comprehension help please, please, please

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

comprehension help please, please, please

Post by Guest »

HELP!!!

My son will be sitting exams for schools that have NVR,VR,Maths and English as the entrance exam. Papers for one school are NFER MC and for the other the English and Maths are set by the school. Maths in the school that sets it own paper is similar in standard to the NFER and the English paper comprises comprehension, grammar and a longer written piece. His problem is that heis very good at maths, NVR and VR but hopeless at English. He reads lots and has a good reading age, can explain what happens in stories when he does read stories, is good at word games like scrabble and can punctuate paragraphs with accuracy . Unfortunately something aweful seems to happen when he sits down with an actual paper infront of him. He doesn't seem to understand what he is reading at all, spelling and punctuation fly out of the window and I can't bear to think how aweful his longer written pieces are. At primary there has been very little opportunity to work on this and now I'm starting to panic. Is the only solution to keep doing and deconstructing paper after paper (not that we have a limitless supply) or has someone got any great tips that will simplify the whole process.

Yours in panic

extremely worried and nervous mum.

Post by Guest »

Where do you live? If you live in North London you could apply for Mill Hill which only tests in NVR for he first test. If you score in the top 240 you are invited to sit the maths and VR test. They take the top score from the maths and VR and add it to the NVR. All the tests are NFER multiple-choice.

Post by Guest »

We are looking at QE boys and Latymer. Mill Hill is just too far to travel. Latymer always has a written comprehension as well as a longer written question which is the problem. QE use MC for English but son has a way of not reading the text properly - he tends to use scanning and skimming as taught by his state primary which has got him fantastic results in SATS but is likely to fail him when tackling the more complex papers which involve him reading between the lines.