Preference forms and AGBS and Ambrose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GailJ

Preference forms and AGBS and Ambrose

Post by GailJ »

First of all, after all this hard work don't forget to put your preference forms in!!!
I've just had my reminder from Trafford. DS is undecided between AGBS or Ambrose- anyone with older boys about I would love some advice?
Cupcake

Re: Preference forms and AGBS and Ambrose

Post by Cupcake »

Hi GailJ, my older DS is year9 at AGSB and we are very pleased with it, academically it is challenging, more so than St Ambrose so i'm told. That's according to a friend of mine whose son passed both and picked St Ambrose because his friends from his catholic junior school went there. Also confirmed by another friend who picked AGSB despite being catholic because he wanted the more academic school ( he is super bright though and top of everything!).

St ambrose considerable strength though is the depth to which it's catholic school status underlines everything it does, the boys are lovely and a real credit to the school. It's a very well rounded school and if I were catholic, or even a Church going C of E it would be no contest.

I guess that sums it up, do you want a religious education or not? The new building obviously is fabulous and seductive but AGSB works small wonders from it's slightly ramshackle buildings, shiny isn't everything. That's my two pence worth anyway. You are in a fantastic position to choose and there really isn't a bad choice here, just different. Good luck :D
parthiban

Post by parthiban »

Hi the thread seems to suggest St.A is not as academic as Alty or sale? Can someone please shed some light how we've come to this conclusion is it based on their A level results or their ability to gain Oxbridge places? confused mum here:?
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake »

Hi parthiban, I would never say I came to any conclusions, simply put my my view based on what my DS and his friends at both schools have experienced (I didn't mention Sale at all as I have no experience of the school - as yet!) and can only look at the statistics available. These are difficult to read because they miss out a very key ingredient which is the degree to which each of these schools select. The most recent stats on the things you mentioned are:

A level points / student A level Points per exam % Oxbridge %Russel Group (exc Oxbridge)
AGSB 1112.1 235.2 10% 56%
Sale 1026.1 226.5 0% 52.7%
St Ambrose 946.9 218 5% 43.3%

(Note the Oxbridge figure are for people who went rather than how many in theory would qualify)

As I said to GailJ my personal view on this is that there is no wrong answer to her decision, all of these schools are Ofsted Outstanding, they are all highly recommended by the Good Schools Guide and I think any DC would have the best chance of fulfilling their potential at any of these schools. We are very blessed in Trafford :D They are all different in style and have different strengths and that's where you have to think about what suits your child best. When I talked about AGSB being more academic I was talking more about it's style and atmosphere which, trust me, is very academic. Hope that helps :)
parthiban

Post by parthiban »

Thank you so much :D
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

If you look at Times, Independent etc. top 100 schools, AGSB and AGGS are always there but you don't see Sale or Ambrose.
Google and have a look.
For whatever that is worth.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

It's still about which school suits your child best though, not which has the best results on paper, IMO.
I have one at AGSB and it suits him perfectly, but it might not be my choice for my other children - they might pass all the exams and have a choice and in that case I will match their personality, learning style, ability to cope with pressure etc. etc. and try to match them to the school that they'd be happiest at regardless of which one gets most students into Oxbridge (not all kids want to go there anyway - I didn't!)

They are all excellent schools and I'd be happy for my children to go to any of them :D
GailJ

Post by GailJ »

Cupcake wrote:Hi parthiban, I would never say I came to any conclusions, simply put my my view based on what my DS and his friends at both schools have experienced (I didn't mention Sale at all as I have no experience of the school - as yet!) and can only look at the statistics available. These are difficult to read because they miss out a very key ingredient which is the degree to which each of these schools select. The most recent stats on the things you mentioned are:

A level points / student A level Points per exam % Oxbridge %Russel Group (exc Oxbridge)
AGSB 1112.1 235.2 10% 56%
Sale 1026.1 226.5 0% 52.7%
St Ambrose 946.9 218 5% 43.3%

(Note the Oxbridge figure are for people who went rather than how many in theory would qualify)

As I said to GailJ my personal view on this is that there is no wrong answer to her decision, all of these schools are Ofsted Outstanding, they are all highly recommended by the Good Schools Guide and I think any DC would have the best chance of fulfilling their potential at any of these schools. We are very blessed in Trafford :D They are all different in style and have different strengths and that's where you have to think about what suits your child best. When I talked about AGSB being more academic I was talking more about it's style and atmosphere which, trust me, is very academic. Hope that helps :)
Cupcake that's fantastic- thanks for the information. Gail x
parthiban

Post by parthiban »

I really don't think I should be given too many choices :evil: I should consider myself lucky to be able to choose between so many fantastic schools.If he has the right support and attitude to work I know he will excel wherever he goes.I really should get back to work next week.An idle mind is a devil's workshop. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

:lol:

It is hard though when you find yourself with choices. I'm terrible at decision making but ds was adamant about where he wanted to go and tbh, I knew he'd be great there so I just went with it.

In a way it's good to have only a short time to fill in the form!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now