WHSB Meeting Info

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sufc

WHSB Meeting Info

Post by sufc »

Hope this info is useful to some - having just returned from the mtg the WHSB head informed us that approx 170 boys passed the test in the priority area. Southend/Westcliff offer 304 places in total.
piemom

Re: WHSB Meeting Info

Post by piemom »

That sounds like good news for ooc boys; with 240 places reserved for in catchment, that's an extra 70 places available ooc. Good question to ask at the girls' schools!
Just looking

Post by Just looking »

Shame I missed today's meeting at SHSG.

I wonder if anyone that attended has that information
regarding how many girls passed in the priority area.....
Anyone? :roll:
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

sufc wrote:Hope this info is useful to some - having just returned from the mtg the WHSB head informed us that approx 170 boys passed the test in the priority area. Southend/Westcliff offer 304 places in total.
Thank you - that is really, really useful!! So approx 130 or so places available for out of catchment and not just the minimum 25+39=64.

Great news for OOC boys (Our DS included!!) Also, I know that in catchment parents were worried that there would not be enough spaces for all the boys in the priority area who passed, now that the priority area is bigger. Clearly that is not the case, as long as they are happy to consider both WHSB and SHSB.

Thank you again - I feel much better now!
sufc

Post by sufc »

If i can remember correctly he also said that 327 was a "probably" and 338 a "certainty" for WHSB OOC!
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

I wish I'd gone to the meeting now! My DS got 346 and already has a brother at WHSB, so we know it is our first choice and that he had a pretty good chance of a place (OOC). Hence we decided not to go to the meeting as our decision has already been made.

It seems that he had some really useful info though - thanks again for posting sufc.
Manana

Post by Manana »

That's really interesting. Did he happen to say how passed in recent years in the old priority catchment area? I'd be interested to know if anything changed at all??
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

It's usually around 150. 90 go to Southend as icc and 60 go to Westcliff. Last year there were approx 60 occ at SHSB and 94 occ at WHSB.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Blitz wrote:It's usually around 150. 90 go to Southend as icc and 60 go to Westcliff. Last year there were approx 60 occ at SHSB and 94 occ at WHSB.
So-20 ish more with the wider catchment. It's really not very many, is it? I expected a lot more.

I doubt this will have any effect on the in-catchment pass mark of 303 at all (after all the hysteria back in February!)
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Blitz - So not a big change this year. And some of the 170 will be boys who previously applied for ooc places, who now qualify for priority catchment places.

Manana - I agree - there was real uproar back in Feb from 'old-catchment' parents, and actually, nothing much has changed!