Eviction of 3rd Orpington Scout Group

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Growingtofast

Eviction of 3rd Orpington Scout Group

Post by Growingtofast »

I hope this post doesn't go against the rules of this forum but I just wanted to make anyone who lives in the Bromley area aware of this eviction.

Please could I ask you to look out for an article that will be appearing the Evening Standard with regards to the eviction of 3rd Orpington Scout Group from the Thirdsden on Goddington Lane, Bromley. The land is leased to the scouts by St Olaves, however St Olaves will not renew the lease when it ends next July 2013. Although it has not been confirmed strong rumours are that they plan to demolish our hut and build houses.

Please read the article if you chance upon it and support us if you can.

Thank you
Growingtofast

Re: Eviction of 3rd Orpington Scout Group

Post by Growingtofast »

Sorry to be a pain this is the article which is now online so I can only assume will be in this evenings paper. The story is also in the Bromley News shopper and there is an ipetition if you would like to sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/olavesscouteviction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please support us if you can. Thank you
24 October 2012

One of the oldest Scout groups in the world is fighting eviction.

The 3rd Orpington fear their building will be bulldozed after a possible sell-off of playing fields owned by St Olave’s Grammar School in Bromley.

The group was founded in 1929 and is one of the few to have survived the war. It built its headquarters at St Olave’s 46 years ago but has been told to leave by the summer when its lease expires. It has 112 members and occupies a corner of the school’s playing fields. Scout leaders offered to have a fundraising drive to buy the land but the bid was refused.

Headteacher Aydin Önaç told the Scouts St Olave’s was “having to tighten its belts”, adding: “Capitalisation of the Scout hut site is an obvious consideration.”

Scout leader Alex Birks-Agnew said: “It’s such a waste. We asked a number of times to buy it or work in partnership and every time the answer is ‘no’. There’s a strong feeling in the local community that the school want to sell the land for housing. Parents are very concerned about it and are trying to raise money. We’re looking to buy a new facility but there’s a huge cost for the building and land.”

The school is run by the St Olave’s & St Saviour’s Schools Foundation Trust. The foundation last year had a balance of £22.6 million, according to accounts submitted to the Charity Commission.

Mr Önaç did not return several requests for comment.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

The article is in tonight's Evening Standard - just read it on the way home from work :) There was a photo of some very sad looking scouts, cubs and beavers :(

Good luck with the campaign.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Done. My kids loved Scouts, and it would be a dreadful shame if this group was made homeless.

Very good luck with it all, and I hope many more forum members will take a few moments to sign the e-petition.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I've signed it. Neither of my DS's progressed further than Beavers as it just wasn't their "thing", however, I do think organisations like Scouts, Guides etc play an important part in our community.

Good Luck
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Done!

:D
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Why cause the possible closing down of a group which lets boys participate in healthy activities rather than stand on street corners. Have signed the petition.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

And girls! :D
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Oops, yes and girls!! :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just to say that you can sign the petition and remain entirely anonymous.

As I have done. 8)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now