Is this MP insane?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kingfisher

Re: Is this MP insane?

Post by Kingfisher »

The expectation was an error on my part; I thought that was what was expected and I did not want her to be behind. As for leaving it to the school - I am glad I did not because the environment was so chaotic and not conducive to learning. Admittedly, she was bored during literacy lessons but it did mean she did not have to do Jolly Phonics lessons as she was a fluent reader by that time. She was never behind - she continues to steam ahead with an enthusiasm for everything. Much of her learning comes from TV; have you seen Prehistoric Autopsy on BBC 2? She is watching it on Iplayer and loves it. As a result of good TV she knows much more than other children of her age.

I do only have a girl so I accept that boys learn differently.

I still think we have to take an active role right from the start rather than focusing on tutoring a few years before the 11 plus. Too many parents think it's all down to the school. My sister is a teacher in a secondary age private school in London and she says parents come to her saying, "Why don’t you make my child read?"

Of course we are all on this forum because we DO care, but too many don't and then blame the school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah Kingfisher, please could you suggest some more good TV programmes. I haven't the patience to watch all those zillions of channels to try and find something good. My DDs are 6 and 8.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I think the MP has probably been misunderstood or doesn't know what he's talking about or may be a bit of both.

Children come to school with all sorts of experiences and needs.

My mother, a retired teacher, has been teaching my brother to read for almost 50 years and he still can't, my sister and I could both read well before school. My friend's DS can 'read' anything, but can't make any sense of it. I know a child who was self-taught (could read any book given to him at the start of primary) and also learnt several languages before reaching KS2.

I could make similar comment about the wearing nappies and toileting.

So I suppose what he is getting at, is that children are not as ready for school, as they might be. And I might agree, but I might think it is because children spend a lot of time with adults at home or in pre-school settings directing their activities, without the need for children to solve problems themselves or explain their needs and desires to adults.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Perhaps I should invite him to come and work in a Nursery School for a day and have his eyes opened!!
strictlyfriends

Post by strictlyfriends »

Ive read this post with interest. I have 3 children. The first could read fluently before he went to school because I taught him and he wanted to learn as he found it FUN. The second had no interest and wanted to play with balls and draw. Both did very well at GSCE level, infact it turned out that my first child is very creative and did not go down the so called academic road. The second 'non reader' is much more academic. Our role as parents is to teach our children to be happy and well rounded individuals. Their years before school should be filled with fun and laughter. We all learn at our own speed, I was more concerned that my children were ready socially for school and not academically. They have so many years where they HAVE to conform, early years should be spent feeling loved and having fun. Having a happy, sociable round rounded 5 year old was far more important to me then them going to school being able to recognise numbers, letters etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now