Judd?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GreenDad

Judd?

Post by GreenDad »

Ever since my son scored 423 in his 11+ people have been saying to me "ooh... he can go to Judd". Judd hadn't occurred to us at all until then. It looks like a very good school but it would involve a lot of travel. Neither my wife nor I can drive him there so he would be getting a bus at 7 in the morning and not getting back until 5 in the evening. This seems like a very long day to me. Both he and I like Maidstone Grammar and the travel there is much more convenient. Are we mad for dismissing Judd? Is it so much better than MGS that it is worth the travel?
malibu

Re: Judd?

Post by malibu »

Fantastic position to be in GreenDad.
I don't know anything about the two schools you've mentioned, so can't be much help.
However, please remember a lot of grammar schools have plenty of after-school activities - rugby etc., and I guess your son will be expected to attend. How will he get home?
Have you been to Judd's open morning/evening?
Maybe that will help you decide if it's worth the 'hassle'.
nicnacnoo

Post by nicnacnoo »

Judd is an amazing school. I have kids at both MGS and Judd.

The boys at Judd are all top ability children (they all scored top marks at 11+) and are taught and challenged with this in mind. The school has amazing facilities, offers excellent extra-curricular options and has a fantastic reputation.

The boys at MGS are more of a mixed ability range. Again the school has great facilities and clubs...

I suppose, at a push, Judd is seen as the more desirable of the two schools...

As for the school run, leaving home at 7am and getting back at 5pm is a fairly standard school day whichever school you go to. The kids get used to it really quickly so don't be put off by that.
WillowTheWisp

Post by WillowTheWisp »

I hadn't known our DS would have got a place based on his 11+ scores many moons ago, he is now in Y12 at our local GS. Never even considered anything else as we just sent him along to our most local school..... I know I was in the dark ages, only now do I see what else there is out there LOL

However I don't think it did him any harm, he has a good social life with friends all very local and managed to achieve 6A*'s and 6A's at GCSE. Perhaps they would have all be A*'s? We'll never know. Is now in the process of applying to Cambridge, although I am less convinced this is right than he is.

What I am trying to say is that a SS isn't the be all and end all. If you believe it's right for your DS and the distance isn't too much of an issue, fine. If however there is a more local GS which would be just as good for DS then that should be the one. What does he think? After all he is the one who is going to have to commit to the pressures that come with it.....
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Personally I say go for MGS.
My reason? It frees up another space at Judd for us..... :lol:

Seriously though, well done to your ds. Great to be in such a strong position. Wish we were... :mrgreen:
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

My DS at Judd, really enjoying it, but they do push the pupils to the limit and homework at times very time-consuming. If your son is sporty, take into consideration that almost all of Judd's games for their A + B teams are on Saturday mornings - seldom back at school before 1 pm when away matches.

So a looong commute on top of this "workload" maybe a bit too much... But that is just my opinion!
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

I looked online for some info on how a long commute might affect a child's education and decided to rule out any journey longer than 1 hour and any journey involving a connection of transport. I find it stressful when a connecting train / bus doesn't show up and I'm late so I wouldn't want to put my 11 year old in that position.

If you click on this link / google the EPPI study then google the references that the EPPI study cites you'll see some evidence that long journey times aren't ideal:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications ... 14690/4177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Long journeys to school have a negative effect on children's educational performance. Long travel times in an uncomfortable bus or an inability to participate in extra curricular activities reduce academic achievement (EPPI 2001)"
GreenDad

Post by GreenDad »

Been back to Maidstone today. Decision made... Maidstone is going in as first choice.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

My son is at MGS and I have been very pleased with the academic and pastoral sides to the school. You've made a good choice :D any questions please ask....
Earlybird

Post by Earlybird »

My son is also at MGS and is extremely happy. It is a good school with very good facilities and plans for additional enhancements to the sports hall. MGS has also appointed a new headmaster (ex deputy head at Judd) who I strongly believe is an excellent addition and will progress the school to a new level.