Maidstone GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GreenDad

Maidstone GS

Post by GreenDad »

If you have scored over 390 and live in one of the MGS proscribed parishes are you pretty much guaranteed a place?
T12ACY

Re: Maidstone GS

Post by T12ACY »

Last year MGS had spaces available, so I would suggest you will be fine.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

T12ACY wrote:Last year MGS had spaces available, so I would suggest you will be fine.
Did they really? The admissions lady at their open evening this week told us we had no chance of a place despite a score over 390 as we live 12 miles away. She said they were over subscribed.

Sorry to hijack your thread GreenDad!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Every year is different and it may be that as there were spaces last year they will be heavily oversubscribed this year. It's unlikely at 12 miles out you'd get a place on allocation day but there is always the waiting list and appeal if it comes to it.
2012 entry they had a couple of spaces and nobody on the waiting list I think, spaces then filled with appeals against non qual.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

T12acy are you thinking of Oakwood? They had spaces but MGS was full on 1st March last year. If you are in one of the named parishes and score390 you will get in. If you have 360 they usually come out about 6 miles, but again within the named parishes.

HTH
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Maybe I am, am doubting myself now! Although having researched am sure I am right. MGS was oversubscribed on 1 March but went on to offer all on waiting list after a number of boys took up places elsewhere. 2012 was an unusual year it has to be said...!
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Aghh its all so confusing, I think I am just about to reorder by SCAF again lol
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Don't rearrange because of what is written on here :D I would ring the school and they will tell yuo all the info. There also have maps on the website which shows you how far out they have gone recently....
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

MGS has confirmed that in 2012 they took 112 boys with a score of 390+, then 8 boys with a score of 360-389 who had siblings at the school and then 55 boys with a score of 360-389 based on their distance to the school.

Hope that helps...
Someone else posted this recently.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

T12ACY wrote:Last year MGS had spaces available, so I would suggest you will be fine.
That is not correct. They allocate first to boys with 390 or more in named parishes. They then go to all boys in named parishes who passed on distance. I believe last year they went up to about 5 miles on the second category.

But in answer to the original poster, it is almost certain that if you are in a named parish and score 390 or more you will get a place.