Kendrick girls vs Tiffin girls, which one is 1st,2nd choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrow123

Kendrick girls vs Tiffin girls, which one is 1st,2nd choice

Post by harrow123 »

DD qualified tiffin stage 1 test

Also qualified Kendrick girls (117.5 score) but we are not in catchment for kendrick just 3 miles away, but we may move before deadline if required

Now confusion is whether Kendrick should be our first choice or Tiffin girls, I need to decide so that I can submit her CAF.

Kendrick girls vs Tiffin girls

Commuting:

Kendrick: Either we get the place as ooc or as a catchment girl (if we move before deadline) , in any case commuting is easy from langley or from new house
Tiffin: From Langley , one car,2 trains and 1 bus is the commuting mode

Uni destinations:

Kendrick / tiffin : Pupil goto Oxbridge/Russell from both schools

extra activities:

I can not see a major difference that could affect choice of preference

Community:

Mixed in both schools, not an issue

so in my view, I should put Kendrick as first choice and tiffin as second chose , then langley grammar as 3rd choice

Please share your opinions about Kendrick vs Tiffin girls or you can share what is 'pro and cons' of these schools, which may help me to come to an conclusion
miniwheels70

Re: Kendrick girls vs Tiffin girls, which one is 1st,2nd cho

Post by miniwheels70 »

This may help you compare the Uni destinations, it was a dashboard I built, based on DofE data they released in July this year about the destination of school leavers in the 2009/2010 cohort.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... ateSchools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you Deselect "ALL" and select "Reading" and "Kingston-Upon-Thames" for the local authorities, you will be able to compare the schools against each other, specifically for Oxbridge/Russell Group destinations as well as numbers that went to any university. Of course, it does not take into account pupils that took gap years or anything else like that.
And YES, I know there's more to life than just comparing University entry, but it IS a criteria some people obviously find important.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That data is very old!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Does your DD have a preference? After all she is the one who has to go every day not you. If you have no overwhelming preference yourself, then maybe she should decide.
RG7mum

Post by RG7mum »

Hi Harrow123

DD is in y8 and, with hindsight, have different priorities in making school choices for DS.

I would consider length of commute - would you yourself be happy doing the journey every day? And would you be happy with your 11 year old doing that? Two trains / buses would worry me, but perhaps there's a group DD can go with?

My DD is at Kendrick. It's a 20 min bus journey which drops her just by the school. She leaves home at 7.30 to ensure she's in for registration a 8.25.

Extra activities - if your DD has a long commute plus homework she may not be able to join in.

Friends - the further you are from the school may mean her friends live a long way from you.

Hope this helps.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hi,

harrow123, unless you have plans to relocate near Tiffin or Kendrik, I would suggest (it is mere suggestion) that you follow your own very good advise that you gave to some other poster. Choose the school near your home - Langley is also a great school and so so near your home. Unless there is something very wrong with Langley which we don't know, Langley would seems to be a good choice. Other grammars in Slough are also good choices.

Besides less time and misery of long travel, specially in winters and bad weather, there are also tremendous advantages of a good nearby school. Friends, participation in extra-curricular and after school activities, more time on studies and for home work, more time with family - I think these are also important aspects to consider.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Agree. Would go close to home. Leaving school after a hard day and extra lessons for that journey would be tough on a child. Don't forget they will be doing the journey every day in the run up to assessments and gcse exams
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Have to agree as well. I would not consider sending my DD a long distance to school, as long as schools closer were acceptable. I can understand parents sending their children further afield if the local alternative is dire, but not when the local school is also a high achieving grammar school as I believe yours is.
However any 'benefit' of sending your child to a slightly better achievement school further away is outweighed by the toll of the journey of getting there and back everyday.

I speak as someone who took a slightly lower paid job as I was fed up of a long commute. Salary may have gone down a bit, but boy, was my quality of life so much better. I was getting home at reasonable time, not having to get up and walk to the train station in the cold dark winter mornings, etc. More time at home to do stuff. It was worth far more than the pay cut.

Your DD will be able to join in more after school activities, making her not just a well educated girl but a well rounded girl. She will have more time to do homework and won't be as tired after a day at school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now