Undecided Too!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GLmum

Undecided Too!

Post by GLmum »

Hello, I am also fairly new to this forum so hope I am doing the right thing here! I didn't want to "hi-jack" HarleyD's post but I am in a similar "undecided" situation. We can't decide between HSFG or RHHS. I read an earlier post where someone suggested private messaging someone (who had daughters at both schools). I have done that but not heard anything back (I appreciate it is half term,etc).

In the meantime, I wonder if anyone else could give me some feedback (as the CAF deadline is obviously looming). My daughter has a highish CATS score (120), is sporty, likes science, maths, art and drama (a real mix, hence the dilemma)!

We live in Gloucester and so travel would not be a problem to either school.

I realise this is a lucky dilemma to be in, but it is dominating our half term - our thoughts keep constantly going back to "Which one?"!

I would appreciate any feedback about the two schools. Thanks.
capers123

Re: Undecided Too!

Post by capers123 »

GLmum wrote:My daughter has a highish CATS score (120), is sporty, likes science, maths, art and drama (a real mix, hence the dilemma)!
I'm afraid I only have parental experience of SHS. Your daughter will be likely to do well academically at either school. It's going to be down to the peripheral subjects and interests and which school will cater for those best. Try getting your daughter to rank the importance to her if the sport, music, drama, ease of access etc, then see which school best fits. It might help.
Capers
HarleyD

Post by HarleyD »

Hello GLmum
Congratulations to your DD, feeling better now I have had some news regarding my post, so hopefully I can reciprocate :)
A close friend has a DD in yr9 at HSFG and she loves it there. I know she had the choice of all of the local GS and put HSFG as her 1st choice. She has made some great new friends, is excelling academically and has become quite sporty ( not her thing at primary). She is really arty and 'into' drama and the school appears to cater well for these interests.

Hope that helps, I guess other forum users will have more/different views...

Good luck!
Newshoes

Post by Newshoes »

Have pm'd you - HSFG is IMHO fab, no experience of RHHS so unable to comment!
GLmum

Post by GLmum »

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, and the private message. I, like others, wish I had known about this forum earlier and would appreciate any more feedback from others.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

[quote="HarleyD"]Hello GLmum
Congratulations to your DD, feeling better now I have had some news regarding my post, so hopefully I can reciprocate :)
A close friend has a DD in yr9 at HSFG and she loves it there. I know she had the choice of all of the local GS and put HSFG as her 1st choice. She has made some great new friends, is excelling academically and has become quite sporty ( not her thing at primary). She is really arty and 'into' drama and the school appears to cater well for these interests.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tricky this one. I can echo echo what HarleyD says EXCEPT that my daughter is at RHHS! All I can say is that she has been at happiest and most relaxed at school as I've ever seen her. Wouldn't want to choose between them, but for my originally non-sport non dramaey daughter, I can't fault RHHS.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

ok, I am going to give my honest opinion. I do have DDs at both schools and I prefer Ribston. It is more fun, the homework is just as challenging as HSFG and the practical based subjects are better there from my experience. If you have a very highly academic DD then I am sure HSFG would suit them but Ribston offers a more holistic experience and obviously the dance is second to none (best state school in the country for dance GCSE and A level results). They do seem to have more extra curricular eg competing equestrian team and links with industry and engineering.

The schools are different and both have their pros and cons. At a very simple level. HSFG is more traditional and academic. Your DD would be able to study extra GCSEs like Latin and Mandarin if she was interested and able. Ribston is less competitive academically and more modern in it's approach with more fun activities. I am not saying HSFG NEVER does anything fun just Ribston has a more jolly outlook.

Don't want to trade what each school does/is better at etc but that is my honest personal experience and each DD is different and likes different things.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

ps GLmum I have PMed you. Hope you get it ok. Thought I had already sent one, sorry.
GLmum

Post by GLmum »

Thank you again for the feedback and mum23, I have received your private message and really appreciate your comments / honesty. I keep thinking I've made a decision and then change my mind again! Will sit down over the weekend with DD and a glass of wine! Thanks again, much appreciated.
vanla5

Post by vanla5 »

Hi :D
I have been reading through this forum throughout the summer and found the posters to be extremely helpful whilst DIY-tutoring my DD. She narrowly missed out on HSFG but we were all junping for joy that she passed for RHH. Mum23* - your post has reaffirmed what we thought all along, that DD has got the best result and we are so excited about her starting at RHH next year :D .