Grammar School intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Superflygirl

Grammar School intake

Post by Superflygirl »

As a matter of interest only, how many of our DC are moving on to GS from independent schools against those from state schools?
Ellen-Jane

Re: Grammar School intake

Post by Ellen-Jane »

State. No VR done at all and grammar schools never mentioned.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Don't know any stats but at our indie one moved on to state school, 6 to grammar and the rest (15 I think) to private.

I assume it's not encouraged as most indies are pre prep/prep and senior so they'll want to keep their pupils and not have them "defect" to the state system!
Magicmillie

Post by Magicmillie »

MY DD moving from indie to state (hopefully GS). I believe my DD is the only one from year 6 opting for state education. So 18/19 children staying in private sector. 11 plus not encouraged in DD's school. In fact was told not to even mention it as might be detremental to my DD's happiness for the remainder of her year! Was quite shocked. Although DD has mentioned it to everyone, of course :)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Magicmillie wrote:MY DD moving from indie to state (hopefully GS). I believe my DD is the only one from year 6 opting for state education. So 18/19 children staying in private sector. 11 plus not encouraged in DD's school. In fact was told not to even mention it as might be detremental to my DD's happiness for the remainder of her year! Was quite shocked. Although DD has mentioned it to everyone, of course :)
Wow, that's outrageous. They did some tuition as part of their curriculum, but it seemed more geared towards entrance exams to indies than GS.
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

From lovely small state primary to grammar school. Would have gone indie if not gained a grammar school place as choice of local comps not that good (my perception obviously). I want my child to be with other likeminded children who work hard and want to learn.
Superflygirl

Post by Superflygirl »

I just wondered what the split was. My son in Year 7 st STRS at present and had previously been at a local state junior school. My nephew had gone to Wycliffe until he was able to gain a place at Marling (quite a few years ago now) and just wondered how common this was and how different the scoring would be following a private education. I probably wonder too much!!! :D
Redlocks17

Post by Redlocks17 »

We are currently in a state primary. It's GS or local comp for DD, private ed not an option for us. The local comp alternative has failed Ofsted and in enormous transition to Academy, thankfully DD passed the 11+so we are hopeful for Ribston. Interestingly we moved here last year from out of county, when I asked the primary about 11+ they were very unhelpful. In fact they told me the school does not help with the process and as a parent it was my responsibility to find out the detail, including open days etc! I felt I was doing something underhand by putting DD through the process.
Superflygirl

Post by Superflygirl »

Wouldn't have opted for private education for DS either but fortunately my catchment area good for local comprehensives had he not gained a place at GS.
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

Private education would have been a "forced" choice, that, or moving house. Sounds like your local comp is the same as ours. I would have lived in a shoe box to ensure my child did not attend that school - it's frankly awful that some children have no choice.

Some of the private schools, that educate to YR6 only, actively assist with VR testing and publish on their websites which schools their children move onto. There were certainly groups of these children at Pates open morning. I suspect that the number of indep school children attending GS is likely to be increasing for a number of reasons:- we are in a recession (apparently coming out of), private school fees have gone up massively in the last 5 years (certainly more than inflation and salary increases) and the cost of secondary private education is significantly more than primary.

Once the children are in YR7 - the school you have come from is probably irrelevant - it's all about making new friends, growing up and enjoying school and all it has to offer.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now