Bucks 11+ (First past the Post)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

helennash

Bucks 11+ (First past the Post)

Post by helennash »

Hi my dc is taking the Bucks test next week. We have been working through 'first past the post' papers. They seem alot harder then other verbal reasoning we have worked on. Does anyone know if they are the right level for the Bucks test?
scary mum

Re: Bucks 11+ (First past the Post)

Post by scary mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=21659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also look at the "sticky" on home tutoring at the top of the Bucks section. Good luck.
scary mum
helennash

Post by helennash »

Looks like they are the same level then. Wow, vocabulary is difficult!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Vocabulary is usually the stumbling point for Bucks 11plus, I think.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

For what it's worth, I thought the First Past the Post vocab to be significantly more difficult than what we are told are about the right level.
helennash

Post by helennash »

Thanks for that. Well i hope it is on the harder side as I have to think about some of the meanings never mind a 10 year old. Also some of the maths vb are so obscure. Anyway nearly over. Cant wait to get rid of my cupboard full of books - looking forward to NOT seeing that resentful look on my dcs face when I mention doing some practice.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Count yourself lucky that you are doing it next week. Other bucks kids did theirs in early october. Does anyone else think this unfair.....not that it impacts me but does seem a little unfair?
helennash

Post by helennash »

Pros and Cons to doing the exam later. Firstly we are out of area so no choice as to when the date is. The Bucks kids do it in a familiar setting ie, their school with their classmates around them. My DC will have to go to a setting that she will will not know, she will not see any familiar faces. Also having to do two exams in the half term is nothing to be envious of. Actually I cant think of any pros. unless you are feeling their is longer to revise for the test. I dont count myself lucky .........it is what it is.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

helennash wrote:Pros and Cons to doing the exam later. Firstly we are out of area so no choice as to when the date is. The Bucks kids do it in a familiar setting ie, their school with their classmates around them. My DC will have to go to a setting that she will will not know, she will not see any familiar faces. Also having to do two exams in the half term is nothing to be envious of. Actually I cant think of any pros. unless you are feeling their is longer to revise for the test. I dont count myself lucky .........it is what it is.
Agree - the unfamiliar setting can be a bit of a disadvantage in my opinion. For most children it will be the first time they have sat in a large exam hall with lots of other candidates. It was much better when OOC children were allowed to take the test in their own school, in a familiar environment as close as possible to the Bucks test dates. Though not a "partner" school, our local primary had been holding the test quite properly and efficiently for years until they were no longer allowed to because of a security incident in a school where the rules were not followed so carefully. :(
Marylou
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree. Most children feel the pressure of the 11+, but at least those in Bucks primary schools have the reassurance of familiar surroundings and their friends. Is there a single OoC child who - given a choice - wouldn't prefer to be tested in their own school in term-time? Who would want a 'journey into the unknown' from out of county, the strange (even intimidating) environment with crowds of pupils, and quite possibly not a single familiar face among them ........... ?
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now