Selective results out. Will your dc still sit the Indys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Selective results out. Will your dc still sit the Indys?

Post by Daogroupie »

Previously students sat indys as backup when they did not know if they had a good enough mark to secure a selective place. But for those of you who know who have strong results at your first choice school, will you still sit? HBS have probably done the girl indys a great favour by failing to tell parents if they are in the top 93. How can anyone in Band A feel comfortable they have a place? The top 65 in DAO are already in and anyone 100 or less has a really good chance. Will private applications be down this year? DG
tiffinboys

Re: Selective results out. Will your dc still sit the Indys

Post by tiffinboys »

The way many schools have implemented new school code has created more uncertainty. Some schools are taking late tests. Some schools have are taking test in 2 parts, with second part after CAF date. Some schools are simply giving pass/fail results. Some schools are Banding the results. Example from Surrey are:

Wallington Girls: pass/fail - one of 700plus.
Wallington Boys: pass/fail - one of 300plus.
Wilsons : pass/fail - one of almost 400
Sutton Grammar: pass/fail - one of 550plus in Stage 1, Stage 2 in late November.
Tiffin Girls: score given for Stage 1, Stage 2 in December

Only 2 schools Tiffin boys and Nonsuch Girls gave scores, which made some sense. Other schools seems to be bent on failing the requirements to give meaningful outcome.

Now in view of this uncertainty, the position remains as before and those who would have gone for Indies as back-up, would most likely still go that route.

Another thought is that some children who have scored high enough to gain grammar place, would now try for scholarships in top indies. Nothing to loose.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

Yes is the answer. dc sat three tests and has done well in all. I am very hopeful she will win a place at one of her top two choices. However, we always intended to take the Indy's entrance test for two reasons. Firstly, it mantains the continuity as there is a tendency to take the foot off the pedal after the state school entrance tests (as is often the case in the summer holidays as well). Secondly, it would be a huge boost dc's confidence if she were to secure a place at a heavily oversubscribed Indy, especially if a bursary or scholarship were to be offered.

We were expecting a higher degree of competition for the good state schools this year due to the state of the economy. The Indy's, save for HABSG, have all joined hands, 23 of them, with heavy advertising (press, Underground Stations, local press) inviting parents with able children to take the entrance tests whilst dangling the "bursary" carrot. This may have happended in the past but I do find it surprising that schools like St. Pauls B&G, NLCS, Westminster, City, Latymer etc. all appeared on the list. They must have some idea of interest from the number of enquiries and prospectus requests.

Tagore
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I would think the advertising by these schools is because it is considered best practice to let the wider public know that these bursaries exist, otherwise they only get applications from people "in the know".

I don't think it should be taken as a sign that they need to drum up interest.
exerji

Post by exerji »

I only hope (vicariously though!) those who would have generally considered indies still go ahead with their plans and let go of some slots in top ranked GSs available for DCs who may otherwise miss out on their cherished schools by 10-20 ranks! Whether or not x % Scholarships or Bursaries are extended, some families can't think of indies due to lack of visibility on job/family front, to plan for 5-7 years of fee payment!
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The independent schools maintain that they want the brightest students applying, regardless of ability to pay. In my experience some will bend over backwards to help once DC has qualified for a place on academic merit, others will want to see the cheque book before they offer.

Of course, if I were being really cynical, I would suggest that the application process is a great time for them to boost the coffers; at £50, £100 or even £125 a time, they make some serious money this way. If a school gets 600 applications at £100 a time, that's £60,000 even before anyone has set foot in the door!

Seriously, though, I can't complain. DD is very happy at her school.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

I made the mistake for paying for half a dozen schools in the summer. Trying to be proactive!

At the moment DS has done well and achieved the results we would have liked. However trying to keep feet on the ground, does tell me that we still do not have an offer.

We have though taken our foot of the metal. DS is enjoying his gifts (Drum set, DVD's) for the time being, however there will be a refocus at some stage to prepare for the indy's.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Don't leave it too long 11nuts. Xmas will eat up a lot of the time between now and January. Now is really the time to get back in there. Cogs should be easy to oil after all that work over the summer. DG
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

No. DS has high enough scores to be sure of a place at our top state school choice and we will no longer sit the independent school exams, even though he would stand a good chance of a scholarship and/or bursary. We were astonished by how narrow the gap is (in terms of ethos, results & leavers' destinations, teaching and co-curriculum, confident and happy sixth-formers and even facilities) between the top state school choice and the independent schools with their huge fees. We are going to save the money now in the hope that we will then be in a position to support our children through university and into the world of work/onto the property ladder.

We know of several others in our situation who will no longer be sitting the indy exams.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now