Twins

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
*Hopeful*

Twins

Post by *Hopeful* »

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone knows the rules surrounding twins and grammar school entry? The new system of earlier testing will help I guess as I should have an idea if they would both stand a chance or not before submitting the preference forms.

Also, I would be very gateful of anyone who could take the time to pm recommendations for a tutor please. Their school teacher indicated they have the ability to cope at grammar school but I do not know of other parents who have used tutors to gain any recommendations. I live in the Erdington area of Birmingham.

Many Thanks
Last edited by *Hopeful* on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyRobot

Re: Twins

Post by HappyRobot »

I know of a set of twin girls...one passed, other didn't.

The one who passed refused to go without the other...they ended up in an independent school.
koala

Post by koala »

There is a note in the KE admissions (somewhere but I can't find it) stating that no preference will be given to twins, where one has passed and the other not met qualifying score.

When we applied online in 2010 I seem to remember there was space for comments on the application form and I inserted a comment to say that if both had met qualifying score for the 2nd preference school, but only one child had passed for our 1st preference, then we would like them both at 2nd preference school. The two schools were both grammars, one in Birmingham and the 2nd in Warks.

As they both passed for 1st preference, I don't know if they would have taken my comments into account but the fact they had asked for comments seems positive. I believe only parents of twins can understand that most sets of twins would like to be at the same school for logistical and emotional reasons.

Koala
bunhs

Post by bunhs »

In a similar position with 2DDs in the same school year albeit not twins.
I've contacted the relevant bodies & can confirm they will be treated as individual applicants so on their own merit.
From the replies I received there is a difference between SCGSG & the KEGS consortium in that SCGSG do consider siblings in the same year over distance if one happens to get in and the other ties with someone else (behind those in care) whereas KEGS have different rules....I'll dig out the reply and post it
Fortunately DD1 got 245 & DD2 got 220 so whilst CHG is very unlikey for DD2 at least, they both have a shout at KEVIHGS & SCGSG.
bunhs

Post by bunhs »

Thank you for your e-mail, I write to advise that if one of your daughters meets the criterion for one of the Grammar Schools but your other daughter does not, the daughter whom meets the criterion for the Grammar School would still be offered a place at the Grammar School as both your children's applications would be considered individually. This is as long as you haven't listed another School that she also meets the criterion for as a higher preference on her application. As per your e-mail if one of your daughter's didn't meet the criterion for the Grammar School the local authority would work their way down her preferences to see if she met the criterion for any of your lower preferred Schools, if she did she be offered one of these preferences if not the Local Authority would place her at the closest school with vacancies available after all the other applicants preferences had been considered.

If one daughter is offered a place at the Grammar school and one isn't the one child wouldn't be classed as a sibling until the other child has started the school in September 2013, however for the waiting list for Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girl's (which Birmingham local authority currently maintains on the academies behalf) Birmingham local authority would use their discretion and update your other daughters criterion on the waiting list as a sibling as long as you have accepted the place at the School for your other daughter. You would need to check with the consortium office if this is also the case for the King Edward's VI Grammar Schools as Birmingham Local Authority doesn't maintain the waiting list's for any of their schools. As regards to the waiting list if two or more girl's score the same mark on the selective test their place on the waiting list would then be determined using the following criterion,

1. Looked after & previously Looked after, 2. Siblings and 3. Distance.

The best advice is to rank your preferences on the Local Authority form in order of which school you prefer.
*Hopeful*

Post by *Hopeful* »

Thank you Koala - yes I agree it does throw up extra dilemmas that others may not appreciate. According to their teacher they are of similar ability however one of them races through assessments without taking the time to read the questions properly, resulting in lower marks than his brother. I know they would like to stay together and if the case arises it will be their choice but can't help feeling like the more fastidious brother could miss out. Can't hurt to write something in the comments section of the form as you suggest.

bunhs - thank you for taking the time to pass this info on, much appreciated :D Well done to your girls!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think you've been badly advised there, as I understand it that would be a breach of both the school's admissions policy (which has no such sibling provision) and the Admissions Code (which expressly forbids giving siblings priority at GSs admitting on the basis of test score). The council doesn't have any "discretion" in the matter.
koala

Post by koala »

hopeful, I could have written your remark about my two boys. They are both at a very similar level in most things that they do. One still thinks he is going to get extra marks for homework completed in record time, whilst his brother is still thinking about what to write! I would like to give them a bit of each other so they both have a bit of diligence and speed, rather than one having all the speed and the other all the diligence. It may be easier to accept their individual qualities in preparation for the exam and work with it as best you can rather than change him.

Best wishes, koala
bunhs

Post by bunhs »

Mike, sorry I didn't word it clearer.

That was one of the replies I got out of three, but all stated the children would be treated as individual applicants and could end up anywhere, which is fair enough given its selective admission.

What I understood from the posted reply was that if DD1 got in to SC but DD2 fell short then she could go on the waiting list. When September arrives DD1 would be at SC and DD2 elsewhere but on a waiting list for a school which her sibling attends (LA would accept this from the date DD1s place is confirmed in March - that's the discretion being used). If there are then say 3 girls with the same mark waiting for a spot the ranking would take in to account 1. Looked after & previously Looked after, 2. Siblings and 3. Distance in that order. The discretion is to do with the timing at which LA would update the criteria to show a sibling at SC before September. That's all. It just means she would outrank a child with the same score who lives closer to the school, but not a child in care, which again I think is fair enough. B'ham LA maintain the waiting list for SC but not for KE schools.

As for KE consortium I have had replies confirming the applications will be treated seperately but didn't enquire specifically about waiting list criteria. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something similar or randomly allocated.
*Hopeful*

Post by *Hopeful* »

Yes I agree Koala. I think this situation does lead me to contradict my usual ethos as I have always encouraged their individuality. I don't think I would worry so much if our local school options were not so poor. I am trying to take a more 'what will be, will be' approach but it is much easier said than done! Hopefully a focus on slowing down and making sure he understands the question will allow him to reach his potential - fingers crossed. Who knows what may happen on test day, either or both of them could have an off day.

Is your slightly less diligent Son a little more successful at sports by any chance?