Herschel choice out of catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confidentdad

Herschel choice out of catchment

Post by confidentdad »

Hi, My DS got 116 in Slough consortium test and we live 36 miles away from Herschel school in Bedfordshire. Can some one suggest if I can put Herschel in my preference. Unfortunately I have only 3 choice. My DS got 238 in QE boys and Next week he will go for Buck test. So I can either put like,
1. QE Boys
2. Aylsbury Boys
3. Herschel.

OR

1. QE Boys
2. Aylsbury Boys
3. Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School.

Please suggest me. I need to fill CAF by 31st October.
Thanks
Confidentdad
chad

Re: Herschel choice out of catchment

Post by chad »

Before the distance criteria was adopted by Herschel and the move towards Herschel as a preference I would have said (going on historical data) you had a strong chance of an offer. Now there are 70 places on score and the rest (50 places) on achieving the qualification mark /distance it is much less certain.
The question is whether a score of 116 would rank among the top 70 scores for children who would be allocated Herschel from their preference list. Unfortunately I cannot give you an answer on this..... we have a post that says Herschel went down to at least 114 in the second round (but I am unsure whether this was under the distance criteria). It may be worth asking Herschel what score the top 70 went down to in 2012.... they can only say no.
confidentdad

Re: Herschel choice out of catchment

Post by confidentdad »

Thx for reply, I will ask Herschel regarding this or may be I will put slough grammar school instead of Herschel for safer side.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now