If you had a DD in the outer catchment area of WGSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

K1w1mum

If you had a DD in the outer catchment area of WGSG

Post by K1w1mum »

What kind of mark would she need to have gained in the test to have a 'good' chance of getting in this year?
We thought our DD probably had a good chance but after speaking to our tutor we are now less confident.
Hera

Re: If you had a DD in the outer catchment area of WGSG

Post by Hera »

Is it around or above the marks required for previous years in the sticky on this site? I think it is hard to predict this year, but I am not sure why a tutor would have a greater insight into what you would need than you armed with the information on this site.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

It's about 10 marks above the previous years' entry marks for the outer area so we were feeling quite confident, but our tutor (who is tutoring our DD2 now) wasn't so confident and would only comment that she has 'a chance' of a place.
We were wondering if there was something we'd missed.
Hera

Post by Hera »

So that would put her in the top 1.4% of the population, the highest a girl has had to be in all the past data is the top 3.5ish %. I would say that sounds pretty strong to me. Did she give you any reasons for her response?
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

She has another pupil who got the same mark and two who got higher so I guess she thinks that the marks are higher this year?
Hera

Post by Hera »

I don't think you can draw conclusions from that. They may not be putting it first if they are outer area. Where are you? Previous years stats tell you more. I also think it is quite unprofessional of a tutor to be sharing other students marks even if you don't know who they are. I would be tempted to discount it as heresay and tittle tattle. Go with the black and white data!
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

We are in HA5.
I don't think she meant it to be mean, but I was just confused about why she wasn't more positive about us wanting to put WGSG as our first choice.
Thanks for your input Bel, it's going to be a long 4 months!
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

Are the results not standardised? If so, surely the question of whether the paper was easier/harder has already been factored? Apologies if I've misunderstood.
jzw22

Post by jzw22 »

Mindset wrote:Are the results not standardised? If so, surely the question of whether the paper was easier/harder has already been factored? Apologies if I've misunderstood.
They are meant to be standarised but that only works properly if there is a reasonable distribution of raw scores. If large numbers of DDs score 95%+ raw scores on maths then everyone ends up around the same standardised score. What it would really mean is that the test is too easy to differentiate them. From what I have heard it was quite possible to get 100% on the maths paper. There was enough time and the general standard of the questions was not that hard.

Standardisation doesn't apply from the outer zone because only above average children are likely to take the test. And you can see that from the entry stats because last year you needed 254 in Mar, with 220 outer zone applicants only 7 to 9 should have achieved that score or better, but instead at least 18 did.

Looking back you have needed a 257 (1 more than the highest March score) score for automatic entry.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now