Samsung galaxy SIII

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Samsung galaxy SIII

Post by stroudydad »

Hi all, do any of you have one of these, or have any comments about them. I'm looking at upgrading and wondered whether to go for the Samsung or IP5?

SD.
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Samsung galaxy SIII

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Check this out!

Samsung Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5: which is better?

Apple never reveals what’s under the hood, so it’s hard to do proper hardware comparisons. The iPhone 5 with its A6 chip is twice as fast as the 4S, but it’s not quad-core. That’s about all Apple has told us about that new chipset.

The iPhone 5 has been selling like hot cakes since launch, with five million pre-orders in its first weekend. The Samsung Galaxy S3 will probably top 30 million before New Year’s Eve based on reports by analysts.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is 133g and 136.6×70.6×8.6mm. The iPhone 5 is a teeny tiny 112g and 123.8×58.6×7.6mm. In tech, small and light wins out, so the iPhone 5 takes it away here.

Both handsets have got Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and LTE. The Samsung Galaxy S3 also has wireless charging, NFC and DNLA. The S3 can also work with a generic microUSB cable, while Apple has changed its proprietary connector to one that only works on ground-up unicorn horn (or something like that). Folks will have to shell out $30 for a new adapter, and then even this might not work with some older non-Apple gadgets. This gives Samsung a win.

The iPhone 5 has a 4” Retina display with a 1,126x640p resolution, as well as Gorilla Glass. The Samsung Galaxy S3 4.8” screen is also protected by Gorilla Glass, and has a 1,280x720p resolution. Given that they both boast HD resolution and 16:9 aspect ratios, size gets extra points. Another point for the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Both have 16, 32 and 64GB versions. SD support gives the Samsung Galaxy S3 another 64GB of memory, so the S3 is the out-and-out winner on storage.

The iPhone 5 has the A6 chip with two ARMv7 cores – 1.3GHz – as well as triple core PowerVR SGX 543MP3, suggest teardowns. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has an Exynos chip and four 1.4GHz Cortex A9 chips, and a Mali 400 GPU. For 3D games and intensive multitasking the S3 should walks away on top thanks to the extra cores! While the US Samsung Galaxy S3 is only dual-core, the 2GB of RAM helps it out so the S3 wins this one as well – on paper, anyway.

The iPhone 5 1,440mAh battery gives eight hours talk time, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 2,100mAh battery says it’ll give 12 hours, but real-world tests reckon it’s around the same as the iPhone 5. It’s a draw.

The iPhone 5 has iOS 6, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 has Android ICS with Jelly Bean on the way. Your choice of OS is up to you – if you want flexibility and something you can deeply customize, then go for Android. If you want to just open a box and have nothing more than the wallpaper and ringtone to think about, then it’s iOS 6 for you. This is another draw.

Both phones have great 8MP camera with LED flash, autofocus, HD video, image stabilisation etc etc…. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has smile detection too, but it can’t beat the BSI sensor in the iPhone 5 when it comes to low light conditions. In fact, only the Nokia Lumia 920 beats the iPhone here, so the iPhone 5 wins!

Design-wise, the iPhone 5 is way ahead of the Samsung Galaxy S3 – the S3 has been derided for its cheap plastic-ky looks, so Apple wins here.

In conclusion, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has four points, for chipset, display, memory and connectivity. The iPhone 5 gets three, for size, camera and design. For OS and battery life, the phones were level. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a shade ahead – but only a shade.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I absolutely love my samsung note. The games-such as jewels (totally addictive) - are brilliant as I can see the screen to play. And I can see my diary. Might be an age thing but I find the sheer size works. It means I can find it in my handbag!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Second the Samsung Note! Love mine too :D

Great for Games, Music, Kindle, email, FB, notes, Satnav etc etc etc!!

:D
Floss

Post by Floss »

I love my iPhone (although mine is only a 4) but the new iPhone 5 is awesome. Got to admit, though, I really like Apple products so the was no choice for me when I needed a new phone :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now