Taking the 11 plus Abroad

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum abroad

sitting the test in a private school abroad

Post by mum abroad »

Has anyone had a child sit the 11+ in a school abroad? We are planning to come back to Bucks next year and it made sense that our daughter should try and sit the 11+ test. I am hoping that her current school will agree to her sitting the test here. Can anyone give me any advice or tips?
teacher

Child living abroad

Post by teacher »

I taught a boy in Asia several years ago and coached him for the Bucks 11+ and he was allowed to take it under supervised conditions at the school abroad. Passed with flying colours! Not sure of the situation now, though.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum Abroad

Yes, you can take the test abroad, the following link may be of some use....

You need to contact County for a full explanation.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=518

Patricia
usa

Post by usa »

Hallo there!
Yes - my son did and it was fine. Had to pay for courier back and the papers did take about 2 weeks to come over initially, so dont book a date too much in advance for an invigilator. It was a great thing to do and I am very glad we did. Any questions, please do ask - I am an 'old hand' at it now!
USA
mum abroad

sitting a test in a private school abroad

Post by mum abroad »

Dear Patricia and USA ,

Thanks for the feedback. I did contact the school and they were a little vague and couldn't direct me to the correct person. I think the problem is that this year we will be having a new principal and I will have to make arrangements to see her. I did speak tot the vice principal and she said that perhaps I needed to speak with one of the teachers and ask if he/she will supervise the test. I may need to pay the teacher as an incentive. School will resume in three weeks time and I think I will have to make an appointment to see the new principal and organise something myself.

I also contacted Bucks CC who were very helpful and they said that so long as the school agrees for my daughter to sit the exam there, then they will send the papers directly to the school. As far as fixing a date for her to sit the test, that will be down to the school and it may not be during the times the local Bucks children the test.

In all, I am worried about getting all together and making sure the test, if done here is held correctly. USA, did you have the same dilemmas?
Mum abroad
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Presumably you have registered with Bucks or will do by the deadline - you will also need the form to apply for a place at your preferred school.

You will also need to have a Bucks address by a certain date [Jan 2008?] to get a place allocated in March - do check the new booklet when it comes out.

Think carefully about options if 11+ qualifying is not reached - check catchments VERY carefully - living in catchment is not a guarantee of a place so be aware of 'pinch points'. {see my post on update 2007 which talks about these}
mum abroad

sitting the test in a private school abroad

Post by mum abroad »

Dear Guest 55

Thanks for the info. I will be looking into the catchment areas more closely. I have evidence that we have a house in Bucks and will be submitting this when I make the application.
I think the problem that we will be facing is that our Bucks home will be considered as a second property when the first allocation process is considered. I am not sure if I have read the allocation process correctly, but I think that one of the criteria is whether we are physically living in the catchment area of the preferred schools. It is not enough that we just have a house.
As I said, I will check this again. If this does create a hurdle then I will just have to prove that it is our intention to return next year in the summer and before September 2008. It does become complicated, doesn't it? Mum abroad
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I think you have to reside in the house - read the booklet [last year's on:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =987793428]. This year's should be available soon.

In a popular school you will need allocation in March to be sure of a place so check this - if you join and PM some of us Bucks 'veterans' we can help.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mum abroad

Wise advice there from Guest55. I think that usa will be able to help you on that point, as she is still in the USA and her son has a place at a Bucks GS this year, so exceptions are clearly possible for expats who intend to return.

Good luck with it all - do register on the Forum so we can advise you by PM if necessary.

Sally-Anne
usa

Post by usa »

Thinking back there were a few problems. One of them, was that our school had not done anything like this before and had not taken time to read the instructions. They offered to do both tests, one after the other, after school :shock: .......
The room he was given was not at all quiet. I sat along the corridor, in case a 'runner' was needed - luckily I did because in that 50 mins, 3 teachers tried to get into the room because it was normally used for something else. The noise from the children around the school was also very apparant. Also, make sure they have scrap paper - it wont be provided.
On the plus side, it was nice not having the frenzy of the playground beforehand and within reason, choosing a time to suit us, however, he had not visited any of these schools and therefore could not really appreciate just how important the exam was. I do remember receiving the results about a week after everyone else and that wait was awful, but Bucks CC cannot give results out over the phone and that is fair enough.
I am very glad we did it but really felt on my own a lot of the time - there was no one to discuss opinions with etc or even understand what the 11+ meant, over here - and that is probably the same for you.
Anyway good luck with your preparations and please do come back with any questions - we would be happy to help.
USA
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now