Have you made your decisions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aliportico

Have you made your decisions?

Post by aliportico »

Just being nosy really, and wondering whether those who were agonising over CAF choices have made their minds up!

Sending you all wishes of sanity for the loooooooooong wait :-)
Busymum2012

Re: Have you made your decisions?

Post by Busymum2012 »

Hi! We finally have made our decision, after days and nights of discussions, pros and cons lists and buoncing between first and second choice!:
1st choice - Kendrick (scored 117) , 2nd choice - St Bernards (scored 120), 3rd choice - Edgbarrow Comprehensive

Hopefully with a score of 117, we are safe for Kendrick! :)
rm68

Post by rm68 »

Hello
We are just sitting down to have this discussion - can I ask what swayed you towards Kendrick as 1st choice?
Thanks
Busymum2012

Post by Busymum2012 »

It took lots of discussion, but ultimately it was where DD felt most comfortable. I wasn't so impressed with the pastoral care, but that said there is huge opportunity within the school and great facilities. I feel that as one of the best schools in the country, I have to give DD the chance to go if that is where she really likes. I would never want her to look back and think she had high enough marks, so why wasn't she allowed to go?

Also, the most impressive thing for us at St Bernards was the Head, now that he is leaving, it does change things. Schools always go through a shaky period after change in headship and although this is normal, it is a risk. The other thing about St Bernards is the risk of merger, although this is historical, I am worried it could happen again as they are not in an amazing financial situation. The financial position also reflects around the school with the facilities that aren't very up to date. ICT is fairly poor within the school. That said, asthetics aren't everything and we would still be very happy for DD to go there, it is just that in terms of 'pros and cons', Kendrick outweighed St Bernards for us.

I think DD will be very happy at Kendrick and if I did have concerns about pastoral care, which is my niggle, then I would air these. One thing is for sure, now we have completed the forms, a huge weight has been lifted!

Good luck in your decision making!
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Excellent decision, however did you know the Kendrick Head is also in her first year in charge?
Busymum2012

Post by Busymum2012 »

I know, but from what I gather, she has been at the school for years and was more or less running the school for a significant part of the time as deputy due to the previous heads national role in education. She seems to have that same ethos and passion.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Yeah, she was Associate Head for a couple of years before Mrs Elms retired. And Deputy for I don't know how long before that.
rm68

Post by rm68 »

Busymum2012 wrote:It took lots of discussion, but ultimately it was where DD felt most comfortable. I wasn't so impressed with the pastoral care, but that said there is huge opportunity within the school and great facilities. I feel that as one of the best schools in the country, I have to give DD the chance to go if that is where she really likes. I would never want her to look back and think she had high enough marks, so why wasn't she allowed to go?

Also, the most impressive thing for us at St Bernards was the Head, now that he is leaving, it does change things. Schools always go through a shaky period after change in headship and although this is normal, it is a risk. The other thing about St Bernards is the risk of merger, although this is historical, I am worried it could happen again as they are not in an amazing financial situation. The financial position also reflects around the school with the facilities that aren't very up to date. ICT is fairly poor within the school. That said, asthetics aren't everything and we would still be very happy for DD to go there, it is just that in terms of 'pros and cons', Kendrick outweighed St Bernards for us.

I think DD will be very happy at Kendrick and if I did have concerns about pastoral care, which is my niggle, then I would air these. One thing is for sure, now we have completed the forms, a huge weight has been lifted!

Good luck in your decision making!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think we have also decided to put Kendrick first. DD seems happy but she liked all the school she looked at. I have only heard positive reports from current parents which has influenced me a great deal. Let's hope it is a great outcome for both girls!
Busymum2012

Post by Busymum2012 »

Exciting times!! Finger crossed. Are you confident with DD's results?
rm68

Post by rm68 »

122 so hopefully should be OK but I guess no one will know for sure until March. She sits the bucks paper tomorrow.