Independant schools- what level does your child to be 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TrinISam

Independant schools- what level does your child to be 11+

Post by TrinISam »

Hello readers,

I'm just wondering what level children need to be to secure a place into an independant school? What are the standards?

My DD is currently in year 5, I have been told that she is acheiving a year above average (which makes me extremley proud)!
She is hard working, determined ambitious and amongst all happy!
She attends a state school and as I see her potential we are aiming for 11+ entrance exams, she has had a math tutor since year 4 and is progressing very well and for English VR and NVR we are completing Bonds books, she is very academic and very musical.

I hear quite often that you would need to be two years in advance in state school to secure a place into a top independant school as the standard is that high, do we stand a chance how far in advance do children need to be to gain a place at top independant schools, we are looking at places such as CLSG.

(She is currently acheiving levels 4a and these were levels passed on from year 4 as they haven't been reassessed as yet).

Are we on the right track? What can we do to improve out chances?

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Kindest Regards
hermanmunster

Re: Independant schools- what level does your child to be 11

Post by hermanmunster »

Levels required depend on the school - indies vary hugely - where is CLSG?
TrinISam

Post by TrinISam »

Thanks for your fast response!

Sorry it's City of London School for girls which is in barbican, London, we would also love to apply for St Paul's girls school, Hammersmith I understand the academic standard for both these schools are very high.

Thanks again
TrinISam

Post by TrinISam »

Yes that's right...

Thanks
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hi TrinISam. All you can do is try. The standards are extremely high for these schools but not all pupils will have come through the state sector so they will not necessarily have NC levels. For these schools I should expect all will be level 5 and some might be level 6 for Maths but it will vary and this won't apply to everyone. I'd look on the sites of these schools for past papers and begin there. Ensure you have a range of options though. Many apply for them but they are very competitive.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrinISam

Post by TrinISam »

Thanks kingfisher for your reply,

Yes I thought this was the case but just wanted to see if we were on the right track and trying to see if I'm setting are targets too high!

Putting that aside we will certainly give it a go, I spoke with a lady at city of London school for girls and se advised me girls need to be acheiving level 5a by the end of year 5, I think we are well on our way to acheiving this!

I guess we can only give it ago just like everyone else, we will keep out options open by apply for 'less' academic schools than the ones chosen!

Always aim for the best in life!