What to do with only 3 preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

luxor1706

What to do with only 3 preferences

Post by luxor1706 »

[split from Allocation system sticky]

Thanks Threekids and WP - the situation is this: DD scored 110 in kendrick, 118 in slough and 225 in tiffins - so all borderline. We are in kendrick catchment, but our local authority (hampshire) only allows 3 choices - so the dilemma is whether to put kendrick, slough and tiffins as the three choices or sacrifice one grammar (?) for a local comprehensive. if we don't put tiffins on the CAF, she cant even write Stage 2. No good comprehensives in my area as well...

We are also looking at some london independent schools and can relocate to London/Reading if she gets in - but competition is tough even there - and as you say worst case scenario is she doesn't get into any grammar, doesn't get into any independent, and we are stuck with a non popular comprehensive that we didn't even put on our CAF.

Very thankful for your advice, and any suggestions given the additional data...

Thanks...
Kingfisher

Re: The Allocation and equal preference system

Post by Kingfisher »

Luxor, there are some excellent independent schools that are not part of the top cohort and it would be wise to look around. The environment is very different from comprehensive state schools and students want to learn so there is no disruption or recalcitrant behaviour and as a result, they do very well.

If this is an option for you, I'd do a bit of research as there'll be a school that is perfect for your DC; the closing dates are fast approaching though.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Luxor

That's a really tricky place you are in for sure. What I would consider is the relative value of the preferences to you. If you are saying, as I suspect you are, that if you were successful at any of the grammars you would take the place BUT if you ended up with the one comprehensive that you might put down then you would probably go independent, then the comprehensive preference place is perhaps wasted and may cost you a place at a grammar. You then run the risk of not getting a grammar and having to go independent.

We were in that kind of position last year with DD. She didn't get into a grammar, but did get into a local and very well respected girls comprehensive to which the vast majority of local girls go. We accepted the place but after much angst decided against during the summer term. She was/is at a prep school so it was easy to just say that she would stay there which gave us a little bit of a breather. Your daughter is clearly bright, and the competition to get into the independents is not nearly so tough. Kids that just miss out on the grammars are often scholarship material in the independents.

It is a blow that you only have the 3 choices on your CAF but I suspect that for you using all of them for grammars makes sense.
luxor1706

Post by luxor1706 »

Thanks Kingfisher and Threekids - this is very useful, and thanks for your perspectives - thinking in terms of relative value of preferences does make sense.
whichwitch

Re: What to do with only 3 preferences

Post by whichwitch »

I would have a really good think about Tiffin Girls, the first stage counts for 30% is she a really good mathematician and strong in English comprehension/essay writing? If so then go for it. Personally I would pick the two most likely GS to qualify for and a comp you are guaranteed. If you don't get a GS place and decide that the comp is not possible then you will have already sat for the Private Schools and will know pass or fail. This way in March you have a fall back should your circumstances change or no selective schools either state or private an option.