More higher preferences for Tiffins

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

More higher preferences for Tiffins

Post by tiffinboys »

CAF deadline is about to expire and I am wondering if there would be more higher preferences for Tiffins compared to the previous years.

This year, Reading and Kendrick Schools adopted catchment policies. Looking at the results posted, it would seem that many people from outside the catchment took the tests and scored well. But these children are not eligible for these schools if they do not relocate to the catchment area by Jan 2013. I think that this will put additional pressure on Tiffins. Already many people are making queries about travelling to Tiffins from as far away as Slough and Harrow.

On top of that, Tiffins are taking late tests and there may be a large number of children taking these tests.

I would imagine that cut-offs for Tiffins will be higher than the last years. Those putting Tiffin as first or higher preference would need to carefully look at all available options.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
London_Mum

Re: More higher preferences for Tiffins

Post by London_Mum »

The knock on effect of new catchment restrictions in other grammar areas, an additional late test at Tiffins and parents knowing some scores before filling out the CAF may in theory alter the cut-off score. Equally the increasing birth-rate (the current Year 7’s being a low birth-rate year compared to the current Year 6’s) and less people being able to afford private schooling may also drive up demand for grammars and so increase the required score.

In reality, I don't know if more people will necessarily list Tiffins this year as a result. Many people ponder for a while whether a 2 hour commute and an 11 hour day for 7 years will be worth it. Most people decide against it (although there are always those who relocate instead).

It is hard to second guess these things. If a school has hundreds more applicants than normal, then there is a fair chance that this will drive up the cut-off mark but so far I haven’t seen anything that indicated the number of applicants is vastly more for either school. Of course if 500 or 1000 additional children sit the late tests, things could be very differnet.
In London, parents have 6 options to use up and most are hard pushed to find 4 let alone 6 schools that they are happy with and will definitely get a place at. I don't think anyone would drop Tiffins from their list due to increased competition since most people can afford to risk 1 or 2 choices on their form on a gamble.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

True, dead line is in few hours and I was seriously thinking of removing Tiffin girls from list

After detailed thinking and discussion with DW, decided to keep Tiffin girls higher to langley grammar. My main concern is about university destinations and career guidance, which is good in tiffin and far better than langley grammar (I may be wrong). Also all family frens dds qualified for kendrick and they are in catchment, so eventually i will be upset in 7 yrs time if dd's friends go to oxbridge/russell uni and if my dd goes not go there. I know reasons could be millions for someone to be/not to be in oxbridge/russell unis

I hope I am not changing my caf in next 6 hours :)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There must be good guidance for career and higher education at all other grammar schools. At Tiffins, it must be so vastly superior as to outweigh the advantages of living within meters of another grammar school.

Well, this must make us even more proud of Tiffins.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

afterall it is nationally reputed school as well, so we shud give the best to our dc hence the decision

travelling: yes it is a pain but we will move in one or two years if travel becomes a headache
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hi, Harrow123

OPs were not directed at you or any one in particular and you really do not need to justify your decision (which are, ironically, opposite to what you were advising to others). I am sure you have best interest of your DD in mind.

Wish you all the best.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

tiffinboys wrote:Hi, Harrow123

OPs were not directed at you or any one in particular and you really do not need to justify your decision (which are, ironically, opposite to what you were advising to others). I am sure you have best interest of your DD in mind.

Wish you all the best.
Sure, I was not justifying to anyone but just shared my feelings.

I noted u mentioned twice that I am not following my advise,thanks for raising this. My advise to others was for a different scenario to my scenario. They were thinking of which ones to choose as first or second within Slough grammars and in my opinion all Slough grammars are mostly identical hence I advised them to choose the one which is in easily commuting distance. But my scenario is between Tiffin/Kendrick (both long commuting to us). For example, recently herschel seems to be getting popular than langley but i have put langley in higer preference to herschel as langley is in 5min walking distance to us and i am happy with this as in my view langley/herschel are more or less similar.

Hope I clarified why I am not following my own advise
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I see your point, Harrow123. Good luck.

Your post, by the way, illustrate what I meant by more pressure on Tiffins this year, due to new catchment policy of Reading Grammars.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now