Ripon Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sophie

Ripon Grammar School

Post by Sophie »

We're in the process of moving to north yorks and as my son will be going into year five in sept we're thinking about secondary school. Ripon seems to have the best rep out of the north yorks grammar schools but also has a rep for being a bit stuffy and elitist. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sophie.

Ripon Grammar is fab

Post by Guest »

Hi Sophie, i have a daughter who has been in RG since last September, and like you we had reservations, but i am happy to report, the school has exceeded ou expectations. Not at all stuffy, has high standards of behaviour but she has had the best year. On a negative note if your child does not get into Grammar the alternative school in Ripon is DIRE!!! Awful results, awful behaviour, awful attitiude. Our son is did not pas his 11+ so will be trying for the 12+ in April...

Post by Guest »

Hi Sophie, my wife and I have put two children through Ripon Grammar and have another going in Sept. RGS does expect high standards and good behaviour but since the new head started it has lost its stuffy image considerably. It is true that many children come to RGS from independent schools, as our's have, and I'll be honest, there is a lot of wealth surrounding Ripon Grammar (which only exasperates the contrast with Ripon City School). However I don't think this impacts on how friendly the school is. If your child is prepared to work hard and behave well I'm sure they will prosper at RGS. From speaking to my children and parents, the "elitist" element exists slightly in sixth form as the standard to get in and of results is so high and there is an influx of students from independent schools that don't have 6th forms of their own, but in comparison to many other schools RGS is so much more friendly and the focus is on academic strength, which makes it healthily competative. Good luck with your child's education. Richard
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - if you are moving to N Yorks then have you looked at the Skipton schools - difference is that they are single sex if that is what you want - also harder to get into than Ripon - cut off year before last was 227 for Skipton 204 for Ripon
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now