Sats results at end Yr 5

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suesole

Sats results at end Yr 5

Post by Suesole »

Hi

My son achieved level 3 in his KS1 (end of year 2) maths and at end Yr4 was Level 4a. During yr 5 a new head teacher was appointed to his school. It was then decided that for Maths and English children would not be seperated into ability sets and all children would stay with one teacher for all subjects in one classroom, I must add that during this time my son's teacher left and he subsequently ended up with 3! Anyway his end of year result for maths was 4b !

Do you think this may be because he is not being challenged any longer due to there being a wider ability in the class room ? I have to admit I wasn't happy when I was advised children were not being seperated or am I being paronoid !

Teachers online how are junior schools arranged is it up to the individual head as my son has always been taught in sets and was in the gifted and talented groups but now seem's to be going the other way...Sorry to babble please Help ! :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is up to the Head how each school is organised - the Head may be 'challenged' by an external person e.g. the LA or the SIP [School Improvement Partner] if the results go down or the pupils don't reach their targets.

Not much help for you though - you could look at some old KS2 papers to see if you can find gaps - three teachers might not have co-ordinated well.

Try http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I have been trying understand the sats levels in more detail recently and one thing that I now understand is that it usually takes two years to move from a total level (4c to 4c) so in a year on average a child will progress by 1.5 sub levels. It could be that your son is now at the top of that sub level and has in fact moved 1.5 leves, but hopefully this would show as 2 sub-levels next year (or more!).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now