Summer holidays have arrived...........

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Suesole

Summer holidays have arrived...........

Post by Suesole »

Hi All

Can anyone advise how much work we should do over 6 weeks summer holidays....

Post by Guest »

My daughter got her 1st choice school starting in September and during her summer holidays last year she did 6 papers a day.

2 VR
2 NVR
1 Maths
1 English
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That sounds FAR too much ... it is a holiday - just keep them ticking over
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

I do not think there are enough papers on the market to cover 6 a day.

Perhaps you meant to say 6 a week.

It all depends when the tutoring/coaching starts. Some start early an hour or so a week, gradually bulding up. Others wait until nearer the time and study daily.

Its very much a personal choice.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Well Sue,
It may depend a bit on your child. And also when the exams are. Are they straight after the holidays or not until January? We had the latter; child did nothing at all over summer (not even 5 minutes during the whole holiday) and did very well in exams (top standardised scores in all papers). If they had been in early September, however, that strategy would have been a disaster as it took a few weeks to get up to speed.

I showed my daughter this site so that she could gape at how much preperation some children were doing; she told me (only half in jest) that she would have run away if I had insisted on anything remotely similar....
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Thanks. We have Bucks exams early Oct VR only and then Berks in early Nov VR NVR and Maths.

Post by Guest »

Someone said that there are not enough papers to do able to do 6 papers a day. Well My daughter did 10 a day and when the exams drew nearer we covered 24 papers a day. she got her first choice. She is happy about her school. I have no regrets and I'll do it over again.
there are so many holidays to come. she only gave up one set for the 11+
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Are Bucks papers not 50 mins long?

10 would take over 8 and a half hours and 24 would take 20 hours..

In one day?

When did your children eat and sleep?

Very confused..

AM

Post by Guest »

Thanks for putting the smile on my face. You have really made me laugh.

Post by Guest »

My daughter got her 1st choice school starting in September and during her summer holidays last year she did 6 papers a day.

2 VR
2 NVR
1 Maths
1 English
Someone said that there are not enough papers to do able to do 6 papers a day. Well My daughter did 10 a day and when the exams drew nearer we covered 24 papers a day. she got her first choice. She is happy about her school. I have no regrets and I'll do it over again.
there are so many holidays to come. she only gave up one set for the 11+
There are obviously some sad parents around. These girls may well be going to their first choice school but do these schools really want children that have had so much preparation? Will the child be happy there when she meets children that were offered a place on the basis they were really bright and needed very little prep? I would have thought within a few weeks it will be evident to the over prepared child that they are lagging behind. How will the child cope then? Children become adults and remember their relationships with their parents.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now