Mock Test 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sunshine 11

Mock Test 11+

Post by Sunshine 11 »

One of the mums at school mentioned that there was a formal mock test that takes place a few weeks in advance of the 11+. Does anyone know about this or how to find out ? sounds like a good idea as I imagine it is quite an intense experience on the day.

Sunshine 11 :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
qip001

Re: Mock Test 11+

Post by qip001 »

I do not think there is any formal mock exam, if there was the information about it would be available on the council/schools web sites. Private tutors do mock exams, but you need to know the tutor to find out the dates, details etc. I can highly recommend mock tests, they are done in exam conditions usually there is a group of children participating. My DC found them fun rather than intense though :-)
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Had not heard of that (maybe the first rule of 'Mock Club' is that you never talk about 'Mock Club' 8) ), but would also highly recommend mock tests.

I always think of the 11+ as being a bit like a driving test (I took mine a while back remember though).
I would not have dreamed of taking it without some professional instruction and mock test/s.
I passed first time, even though I forgot to check the handbrake at the start and spent the whole test thinking I had failed.

Our DC's do not get to retake the test (I think the driving test should be a little more like that most days lol) so reasonable preparation is a must IMO.

Our DD also enjoyed them. She was calm, happy and confident on the day which I feel was a big help.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Yes there was one over in Gloucester in September, either at Gloucester Library or Shire Hall as I remember. My dd took her test last year so I didn't pay too much attention to times/dates etc for this year. Had there been one last year, I would definately asked her if she wanted to do it. I think if for example you are in a quiet house or your dc practises in a quiet place then being in an environment where there are people around you coughing, shuffling about, sneezing, sighing (as there will be in the formal exam) and being timed is a good idea and good preparation for the day.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

That sounds interesting.

Anyone know anything else about it?
Is there a fee and how is it publicised/who is told about it etc.

I am a little confused by the whole 11+ thing.

Am I right in thinking its basically intended as state secondary school for the brightest state educated primary school kids?
Why do state primary's (generally) not prep for it?
Ours does not even seem to officially recognise it or GS's, and I will not be happy if I hear the school in any way try to claim any praise for our DD getting a GS place!
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Hi,

You can get information from the 11plusdiy website. There were 3 mock exams last year for £45 each.

Many thanks,
Dr. Watson
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Hi dr.watson.

Thanks, but I do not really need the info.

I was just curious about the states (I assumed it is a state initiative as it was said to be held at a state venue) involvement in the transition between state primary and GS.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

StJamesDad wrote:Hi dr.watson.

I was just curious about the states (I assumed it is a state initiative as it was said to be held at a state venue) involvement in the transition between state primary and GS.
No it's a open to all as I recall.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:
StJamesDad wrote:Hi dr.watson.

No it's a open to all as I recall.

I assumed it would be open to all. What I meant was that I assumed it was set up by the education authority and not a private body.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

unlikely - they are usually done by independent people/tutors/parents assoc. They just hire a venue
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now