Undersubscribed Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Undersubscribed Grammars

Post by patricia »

Dear Etienne

The rumour is still abound that the grammars are not filling their places, in addition a few favoured uppers have too many applicants....one I believe to be hundreds oversubscribed.

Have you 'heard' any more on the matter?

Patricia.
Last edited by patricia on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Patricia

I shall also be interested to hear what Etienne has to say. I have just posted that for Chesham High, John Hampden and Henry Floyd the LEA states "all offered", which I sense is LEA code for "all welcome & room to spare"!

I have a couple of contacts in interesting places for this question and have already asked for their information too.

We shall see!

You couldn't post a glass of that red wine over, could you?! This forum has been seriously hectic today!

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

Interesting subject.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There doesn't seem to be a huge change in the actual numbers. The size of the "tested cohort" (7010 as at 1/12/05) is remarkably similar to that of the previous year (7009 as at 29/11/04), as is the number of pupils qualifying immediately with 121+ (2113 as at 1/12/05, compared with 2115 as at 29/11/04). We know that the percentage of successful appeals is a bit down this year (but the figures are not quite complete as appeals submitted late are still being heard).

Of course, some grammar schools are less popular than others, and might appear to be undersubscribed initially.

A year ago the concern was the other way round: that there wouldn't be sufficient grammar school places in the county. As far as I know, there were. In fact one popular all-girls' grammar found it rather difficult to fill its year 7 (this had a lot to do with changes in catchment areas), but the problem resolved itself by the end of the transfer appeals.

Like Patricia I have been monitoring the BCC website, and am curious as to why the minutes of the headteachers' admissions working group meeting on 7th February have not been published!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now