French story books

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

secondtime

French story books

Post by secondtime »

Can anyone recommend easy to read (no, very easy to read! :roll: ) French books that aren't too babyish?
DD is 11 and rolls her eyes at some I have found on-line as they do look like they are aimed at preschoolers.
Okanagan

Re: French story books

Post by Okanagan »

secondtime wrote:Can anyone recommend easy to read (no, very easy to read! :roll: ) French books that aren't too babyish?
DD is 11 and rolls her eyes at some I have found on-line as they do look like they are aimed at preschoolers.
We have some of the Asterix, TinTin etc books in the original French language versions - like this. Being bite-sized comic book text, and with the visual clues, it's not too difficult to follow. Would those appeal to her at all?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There is a poster on here called JaneEyre (I think that is correct), who I think is French (I hope I'm remembering all this correctly :lol: ). She may be able to recommend something. There may have been a thread about this before as well, try searching.

Here it is:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=25504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
splash

Post by splash »

Secondtime, I would recommend Le Petit Prince. It's written by Antoine de Saint-Exupery as you will probably know. It might be a little hard at the beginning but you child will get used to it soon.
From Splash :-)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Oh, dear, I just see this thread today (no time to read the forum daily :cry: ) and I see that I have been quoted. :oops:
Yes, indeed, I am French and the link researched and found by scary mum shows a school book for children learning to read, it is not a story book (WFG was looking for something similar to Peter and Jane in Ladybird collection, cf her first post on page 1 of that thread).

For stories, I second Okanagan for the choice of Tintin and splash for Le Petit Prince (for the latter, if your DC can have the English version next to her French version, it would help her tremendously. Surely, it would be easy to borrow the English version from a library).
Asterix chez les Bretons is really one of my favourites Asterix ( especially after leaving here in the uk as I understand better all the cultural hints! :wink: ), but maybe the style in Tintin is more formal so more appropriate at this stage? But one may argue than as long as your DC is engaged, your goal is met!

People may suggest Le petit Nicolas but really, it is written in ‘familiar French’ (= oral French so for example, the ‘ne’ in the negation is skipped) and I never liked my children to read them too much though they did because it is just so funny!! There is also a film that your child may enjoy ; look for:
Le Petit Nicolas (Little Nicholas) Region 1 with English Subtitles

At primary school, My DD also enjoyed ‘reading’ Tom Tom et Nana, but here again, it is mostly 'familiar French'. You can borrow them from your library if there are available there but I wouldn’t recommend you to buy them!! Tintin is a far better investment!! (my personal opinion, of course! I am a bit ‘strict’ about what I think is ‘good literature’). You can browse some Tom Tom et Nana on amazon uk to have a better idea. Having said that, here again, this kind of comic might appeal to your child!

I am wondering if there are not a magazine published in the UK for teenagers learning French (so there might be a box of vocabulary after some articles to help for the comprehension). Unfortunately, I don’t know how they are called. I am sure the MFL teacher of your DC would know. But it is certainly more 'boring' than comics.

Actually, maybe your DC’s French teacher could advise some titles and you could share them with us on the forum?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now